Daily Devotional for March 25, 2016

Acts 2:22-26   
Now, listen to what I have to say about Jesus from Nazareth. God proved that he sent Jesus to you by having him work miracles, wonders, and signs. All of you know this. God had already planned and decided that Jesus would be handed over to you. So you took him and had evil men put him to death on a cross. But God set him free from death and raised him to life. Death could not hold him in its power. What David said are really the words of Jesus,

“I always see the Lord near me,
and I will not be afraid with him at my right side.

Because of this, my heart will be glad,
my words will be joyful, and I will live in hope.”

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This morning, I was trying to help Nathan work a rather difficult jigsaw puzzle.  He kept saying, “Don’t help me, Debbie…I will do it myself.”  So I sat down to watch…and ever-so-subtly (or so I thought!), I would slide a couple of pieces toward him that I had interlocked.  Soon, I heard Nathan begin to sniffle.  “What’s wrong, Buddy?” I asked.  “You don’t love me anymore!”  “Why, of course I do!” I reassured him.  “Why would you think I don’t love you?”  “Because you don’t think I can work this puzzle by myself…and I can!”

I sat and watched him struggle with the pieces. Nathan tried to work “from the inside out,” so I would suggest that this piece or that one might make a border.  Finally, he began to get the hang of it.  More than once, I had to squelch my urge to “assist”.  It was hard to watch that little guy struggle with this task.  I knew that I could help him work that puzzle in no time.  But at the same time, I knew that he had to do this…he had to endure the frustration of learning to do it himself.  And when he was finished, I “high-fived” him and praised him…and his little face beamed with pride.

I know it’s a stretch to use this illustration to comment on today’s scripture passage.  But here’s the thing.  God could fix so many things in our lives…but sometimes He understands that we have to struggle with them while He looks on so that we grow in our faith and more perfectly appreciate His love and care.  God knows our heartaches and difficulties before they happen – just as He knew that Jesus would suffer horrific torture and abuse at the hands of the Roman soldiers. 

Did God cause this to happen?  Does He intend for us to get sick, lose our homes and jobs, go off to war, have terrible accidents and get involved in toxic relationships?  Does God mean for us to struggle or be orphaned, abused and mistreated?  The answer to all of these questions is a resounding, “NO!”  But God allows these things in order to demonstrate to us and others His incredible power to rescue us…to comfort us in our pain and suffering…to heal us and set us upright mentally, physically, and emotionally.  In this manner, God sets us free and raises us to life over and again.  God will NEVER leave us!

So while some would contend that God deserted His Only Son and left Jesus to suffer and die, scripture tells us that this was not the case.  Yes, He knew what would happen…but He also knew the next chapter…and the next.  And God knows what happens in every chapter of your life and mine…and He wants us to count on Him to “slip us the next piece of the puzzle”…to heal us and repair our brokenness. 

Because of what God did for Jesus, we have hope and confidence that He will do these things for us.  We have joy that we are the children of such a powerful and mighty God who loves us so very much that He will never let us falter…if only we will trust Him.  Hard to do sometimes?  You betcha! Worth it all in the end? Absolutely!  Are you trusting God to help you with your “life puzzles?”  Isn’t it time you did?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: