Daily Devotional for March 19, 2016

2 Corinthians 5:14b-19
Since we believe that Christ died for all of us, we should also believe that we have died to the old life we used to live. He died for all so that all who live—having received eternal life from him—might live no longer for themselves, to please themselves, but to spend their lives pleasing Christ who died and rose again for them.

So stop evaluating Christians by what the world thinks about them or by what they seem to be like on the outside. Once I mistakenly thought of Christ that way, merely as a human being like myself. How differently I feel now! When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has begun!

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

As I checked out at the grocery store the other day, I thought I recognized the man in line ahead of me.  I wasn’t sure, so I didn’t speak to him…but he seemed very familiar.  If I was right, I remember him as a very nice, kind, Christian man.  However, the clerk was visibly rattled as he walked away – and she said he had been a total grump and had almost been downright rude to her. I told her that I thought I recognized him…and he was actually a very nice man who must be having a terribly bad day.  She thanked me for being polite and said I “more made up for” his unpleasantness…and I did my best to put her back in a good mood.

The thing is…people are watching…and some have pretty long memories.  A lot of folks will judge us and “peg” us in one way or another based on a single experience – or prior history.  And we do this, too.  We are often astounded to find that the person we could not stand in childhood, high school or our early adult life is now someone we really like – or vice versa. We could all probably note someone who experienced something traumatic or life-changing…and it seemed to be a real turning point in his/her life…and a personality changer, as well.  Surely you have said of someone, “He/she is not even the same person I used to know!”

Can people really change?  Absolutely!  Unfortunately, these changes are not always positive.  But when JESUS transforms someone from the inside out, the results are generally – and astoundingly – good ones. Some people change when they claim salvation in Jesus. For others, the shift often occurs after some life-altering event.  Some are changed following a health scare, the loss of loved ones, or a major blow -  like the loss of a job. Others are changed by the unfair judgment and criticism of others…or personal neglect.  I think of how my mentor, Mrs. Peggy, developed such a tremendous visitation ministry after her own mother-in-law was virtually ignored by her church family when she became ill, and ultimately died. 

The point is this…we don’t have to wait for a life-changing event to become the “new creature in Christ” that He has called us to be.  We can evaluate our lives and make necessary adjustments today.  It doesn’t matter what others think of us…or what we think of other people.  What matters is what Jesus thinks! The U.S. Army used to have a slogan that said…“Be all that you can be.”  Are you all that you can be for Jesus? Even if you surrendered your heart to Him decades ago…did you truly change from the inside out?  You can still do this…and there is no better time than TODAY!

Stop judging others based on past history or outward appearances…and stop living like the “old you!”  Be the new creature that Jesus has created…and look for this in others, as well.  We may still occasionally have a bad day and show that “old side” to someone else.  But with God’s help, we can transform ourselves more and more each day into the Disciple He intended us to be.  Everything old IS new with Jesus.  It’s time we lived this truth each and every day.  How are you doing?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: