Daily Devotional for March 4, 2016

1 John 2:15-17
Don’t love the world or anything that belongs to the world. If you love the world, you cannot love the Father. Our foolish pride comes from this world, and so do our selfish desires and our desire to have everything we see. None of this comes from the Father. The world and the desires it causes are disappearing. But if we obey God, we will live forever.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I have been doing a lot of sorting in the last several weeks…sorting through books and other items at my mother’s house…sorting through closets and drawers at my own home as I try to reduce clutter and get organized…sorting through files on my computer in an attempt to clean out the junk and get things in proper order.  And in doing all of this, I have learned something important…we place too much value on the wrong things.

As I’ve gone through my mother’s belongings, I’ve realized that I cannot keep them all…and many of the items that held importance for her do not mean the same thing to me.  I read several online articles that suggest that we often attach significance to items that belonged to our parents or another loved one, because we see those things as an extension of that person.  And this is misplaced attachment.  It’s hard to see the “treasures” that our loved ones saved and realize that they do not represent this person – and that our feelings toward him/her will not be diminished if we let them go.  I am a slow learner, so I’m sure I have brought home more than I should have…and someday we either have to sort through it again – or someone else will!

Here’s the thing…as much as I appreciate my mother’s writings…her books and journals, music, dishes and the family heirlooms she saved for me…they are not what defined her.  I would give up every single item to spend even one hour sitting on a bench with Mother - watching Timothy, Zola and Nathan play in her back yard.  We could revel in their joy…and what it took to get to this point in our lives.  We might not speak at all, but there would be a shared understanding of how God intertwined our lives - and how much we all love each other.   THIS would be important! 

As my mother lay dying, what was significant was to sit and hold her hand…to read her messages to her and talk with her when she was awake…to tell her over and over how much I loved her. For that twelve days, the rest of the world virtually stood still and/or ceased to exist for me.  It was simply a time to focus on her – on US – and to watch and listen as God orchestrated my mother’s last few days on earth.

This is how it should be with us as Christians.  Yes, we have to get up and go to work.  We have family obligations…shopping, houses to clean, meals to prepare and laundry to do.  Most certainly, we have a lot of things that require our attention, to some degree.  But we clutter life up with so much more…material acquisitions, foolish pride, attempts to be something or someone other than what God intended.  We waste time on worry, criticism, negativity and back-biting.  We develop airs of superiority and focus far too much on the physical image that we project to others.  And we pretty well kick God to the curb in the process.

Let’s stop this nonsense!  Let’s pare down and get real…and focus on what is truly important.  Let’s put God at the forefront of EVERYTHING we say and do…and if He is not in it or for it…let’s let go and move in a different direction.  Let’s store up treasure of the relationship kind…and truly focus on each other and meeting personal needs.  Notice I didn’t say desires or “wants”…but genuine needs – physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.  Let’s rearrange our priorities to suit GOD…and discover how much more time we have – for EVERYTHING else!

Spring is almost here.  It’s time to do some major sorting and decluttering – in every area of our lives.  I’m in…what about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: