Daily Devotional for March 16, 2016

2 Corinthians 5:1-5
For instance, we know that when these bodies of ours are taken down like tents and folded away, they will be replaced by resurrection bodies in heaven—God-made, not handmade—and we’ll never have to relocate our “tents” again. Sometimes we can hardly wait to move—and so we cry out in frustration. Compared to what’s coming, living conditions around here seem like a stopover in an unfurnished shack, and we’re tired of it! We’ve been given a glimpse of the real thing, our true home, our resurrection bodies! The Spirit of God whets our appetite by giving us a taste of what’s ahead. He puts a little of heaven in our hearts so that we’ll never settle for less.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Timothy’s Sunday school teachers have done an excellent job of teaching him about Heaven…so good that he has said more than once, “I can’t wait to go there!”  I reminded him that we will go when God is ready for us…but that meanwhile, we have things to do here - like grow up, go to school, have families, get jobs and serve others.  He agrees with me…but I honestly do not think this child fears Heaven in the least. 

This is heady stuff for an almost-seven-year-old.  But then, this little boy has experienced more death in the last three years than most children his age…my grandmother, several pets, and the recent passing of Greg’s brother, Bruce (who was Timmy’s friend), and my mother – his Granny.  He is truly comforted to picture them in Heaven…as are we.

I like the thought that God whets our appetite for Heaven by giving us glimpses of what it will be like…a beautiful sunset…a gorgeous day spent on the lake or in the woods…the faces of our children…even the striking images that have appeared this week on Facebook of wall clouds and funnel clouds as storms moved across our state.  A friend shared video today of his daughter’s hiking trip in Patagonia, and I marveled at the mountains and glaciers. Greg and I watched a “Smithsonian Channel” program of aerial footage of some of America’s most beautiful places, and we were in awe of the spectacular scenery. 

Someone does something kind for us out of the blue, and we are reminded of the blessings of God.  We look at the intricacies of a newborn baby … the incredible markings of our pet or another animal…or the amazing details of spring flowers…and we think, “Surely this is a touch of Heaven on Earth.”

I don’t know about you, but I believe that Heaven is all that the Bible says it is…and more.  I believe that for every beautiful experience I have on this earth…I will have ten thousand times more when I get to Heaven.  Yes, there are days when I want to “fold up my tent” and just “get on with it!”  But as I told Timothy…God is not ready for me yet. I have work to do…people to love, service to offer, and sunsets and beauty of all kinds still to enjoy!

Having some idea of what lies ahead does make this earthly life sweeter…and I thank God for this gift – and for all of His blessings.  I’m Heaven bound…and that makes everything better!  What about you?


© Debbie Robus 

No comments: