Daily Devotional for March 24, 2016

Acts 2:1-4
Seven weeks had gone by since Jesus’ death and resurrection, and the Day of Pentecost had now arrived. As the believers met together that day, suddenly there was a sound like the roaring of a mighty windstorm in the skies above them and it filled the house where they were meeting. Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on their heads. And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in languages they didn’t know, for the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Today I’ve been thinking a lot about my mother…probably because I visited one of her lifelong friends earlier, and we reminisced about the fun adventures they shared.  I also encountered some dear friends and fellow church members as I shopped at Walmart who spoke of my mother and asked how I was doing.  I told them that I am doing well – and for the most part, I believe this. But later, I asked myself, why is this the case? How is it that I have been able to function somewhat normally in the two-plus months since my mother’s fairly sudden death?  And the only answer that I can muster is…”I am acting under the power of the Holy Spirit.”

I didn’t feel the “whoosh” of a windstorm, as described in the Book of Acts.  In fact, I don’t “feel” anything at all, except a profound calm and confidence.  But I do sense that I am operating under the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life, because this is the only explanation that makes any sense.

Today is “Maundy Thursday,” the day we Christians take note of Jesus’ “last supper” with His disciples…His prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane and His betrayal there by Judas.  We ponder Jesus’ arrest, Peter’s denial of any relationship with Him, and the horrific beating and torturous “interrogation” inflicted upon Him by the Roman soldiers.  And one has to ask how Jesus endured all of this…knowing every step of the way exactly what would happen to Him. 

We see in scripture that Jesus actually asked God if there might be another way – one that did not involve so much suffering and agony. And yet, He obediently surrendered to God’s will and sacrificed His life for the sins of each of us.  Jesus trusted that God would provide…that He would make a way for Him to endure all of this.  And that’s what we must do with the Holy Spirit.  This presence is not something we can physically see – or even tangibly feel.  But we know when we are experiencing the Holy Spirit’s power, and we must trust Him to steer us through every circumstance that the day brings.

We sense when the Holy Spirit is equipping us with abilities that we would not otherwise possess…when we have an Inner Strength that we are quite certain is not of our own making…when there is Peace and Comfort that defies logic.  The God who appeared to a crowd of believers on the Day of Pentecost and caused them to speak in unknown languages is the same God who can fill us with His Holy Spirit and enable us to accomplish things we never imagined we would be able to handle.

If you do not yet recognize the power of the Holy Spirit in your own life, there is no time like the present. All you have to do is call on Him to fill your heart and mind…then trust that He is with you. I have found that sometimes it helps to actually sit and repeat the phrase, “Come, Holy Spirit, and fill me!”  And He does!

Jesus sacrificed so much so that our sins could be forgiven…and so that we could have this special Comforter to guide and protect us each day.  Won’t you recognize His presence in your heart and mind today?  You may not feel the wind and fire or speak in unknown tongues…but He will be with you, all the same.  Aren’t you ready to get to know Him?


©2016 Debbie Robus 

No comments: