Daily Devotional for March 8, 2016

1 John 5:13-15
I have written this to you who believe in the Son of God so that you may know you have eternal life. And we are sure of this, that he will listen to us whenever we ask him for anything in line with his will. And if we really know he is listening when we talk to him and make our requests, then we can be sure that he will answer us.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I saw a “pin” on Pinterest titled, “How to pray when you just can’t focus.”  Boy, does that ever describe me lately!  The suggestions included…Pray the “LORD’s Prayer”…Pray out loud…Pray with someone else…Pray the Psalms.

I have to admit, I take comfort in knowing that I am not alone…that others mean well yet sometimes struggle to maintain focus in their prayer life.  I am reminded that we are, after all, mere humans - and subject to becoming easily distracted!  The GOOD NEWS for me is that God is NEVER distracted!  He is always watching and listening…and when we make our requests known to Him, they are heard.

Romans 8:26 reminds us that when we cannot form the words, the Holy Spirit prays for us.  This scripture comforts me greatly!  The KEY is to remain in tune with the Holy Spirit, so that this can happen.  But when we have lost focus (for whatever reason)…when life beats us down to a point where words just do not form…God still knows our heart and is able to answer our petitions!

I don’t know about you, but this gives me tremendous comfort and courage.  And I want to share this knowledge with others.  I want us all to understand that there are times in our lives when we love the LORD with all our hearts…but words simply fail us.  There are situations and circumstances where our needs are tremendous…and we are completely unable to express them in any sensible manner.  Bolstered with the knowledge that God still hears me – and answers – during these times…I am overwhelmed with peace, courage, and confidence. 

None of us has a “corner on this market.”  What God does for us, He will gladly do for others who seek His will and desire to serve Him.  I don’t know whether this is a season of great focus for you…or if your thoughts are scattered to the four winds.  But if you are in step with the Holy Spirit, rest assured that God is hearing you – and answering perfectly – no matter what you are actually saying.


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: