Daily Devotional for March 17, 2016

2 Corinthians 5:6-10
Now we look forward with confidence to our heavenly bodies, realizing that every moment we spend in these earthly bodies is time spent away from our eternal home in heaven with Jesus. We know these things are true by believing, not by seeing. And we are not afraid but are quite content to die, for then we will be at home with the Lord. So our aim is to please him always in everything we do, whether we are here in this body or away from this body and with him in heaven. For we must all stand before Christ to be judged and have our lives laid bare—before him. Each of us will receive whatever he deserves for the good or bad things he has done in his earthly body.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Spring Break is upon us…and for some of you, it may already be happening.  I hear people talk all the time about longing for the beach…or a tropical island.  Some prefer a cruise.  And in light of all that we have experienced in recent months, more than a few people have said to us, “You two need to get away somewhere and relax!” 

Can I tell you something?  I’ve been on those kinds of trips. I’ve played on a sandy beach and sailed on a cruise ship.  I’ve skied in snowy mountains and relaxed by a roaring fire. I’ve enjoyed several days of dining out and having someone else do the cooking and dish washing. And what I have discovered is that, for me, nothing compares to home.  And ultimately the only place the grass will truly be greener for me is in the real Paradise…Heaven!

Have you heard the phrase, “I need a vacation from my vacation!”?  It’s true for many of us…the “earthly pleasures” we seek never quite satisfy.  And they won’t – they can’t!  Nothing will compare to what we experience in Heaven.  But here’s the thing…what we do with our earthly time matters greatly.  How we serve, how we react and respond…it all matters.  If we mope around and gripe and complain about our everyday existence in this earthly life, we are not focused on pleasing God.

Our daily routine may be dull and boring…or fraught with disappointments and difficulties.  Yes, there are horrific things happening all around us.  Let’s be honest, this earthly life can be pretty crummy at times.  But what matters is how we respond to our circumstances…what we show others.  I am not suggesting that we be phonies…I am reminding us to stand strong in the LORD! 

I know I am preaching to the choir in many instances…but I am also yanking some of us up by the bootstraps – myself included!  It is time for us to get up and get going…to ask, “What would you have me do with this, LORD?” The time is NOW to build our “portfolio” for Heaven…to fill it with the countless ways that we have glorified God and demonstrated His love and care through the teachings of Jesus Christ and His sacrifice on the cross for each of us.

There is nothing wrong with earthly vacations…or looking forward to them.  But we must always be even more focused on our final destination – and how we prepare for Heaven.  SOMEDAY, each one of us will stand at Heaven’s gate…present before God and accountable for everything we did – and didn’t do – on this earth.  Your “ticket to Paradise” will be punched…but not before a “performance review” is conducted.  What will you have to say for yourself…and what will God have to say to you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: