Daily Devotional for June 10, 2016

1 John 1:9
But if we confess our sins to God, he can always be trusted to forgive us and take our sins away.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I wish you could have been in the car with me this morning as Timothy, Nathan, and I drove home from the library.  It was hot when we got in our car, and I turned the air conditioning on full blast.  Timothy asked, “Will we sweat in heaven?”  I told him probably not! Then he asked, “Who makes the laws in Heaven?”   I told him that God makes the laws…and Timothy wanted to know what kind of laws God makes. I told him “Good ones!” 

A conversation ensued about heaven and God, and Timothy added…“Even if I am bad, God will still love me.”  So we started talking about Jesus and how He died on the cross for our sins…and when we tell Jesus that we are sorry for our sins and ask Him to forgive us, He does – forever and ever.  This doesn’t mean that we can act badly.  In fact, because Jesus loved us enough to do this, we should want to thank Him by doing our very best not to sin.

Imagine, if you will, the indignity of a 4-year-old and a seven-year-old as we talked about how badly Jesus was treated.  They were aghast that “those mean people” did such awful things to Him – particularly on the cross…and both readily said, “I will beat them up for that!”  I tried to explain that 1) this is not possible; and 2) Jesus would not want this. We still have a lot of work to do as the children mature enough to understand the grace and mercy of Jesus…but hopefully, you are in a far different place!

So let me spell this out for you.  Yes, we should be offended by how Jesus was treated.  But think of how you and I have treated Jesus.  What if He got offended about that?  Where would that leave us?  Would we have the gift of salvation and the promise of Eternity with Him?  If we fail to forgive others…do we really honor all that Jesus has done for us?

I stressed to the boys that Jesus wants us to love other people…to share His message with them and tell them how much He loves us.  We cannot do that if we are busy beating each other up…literally and figuratively – with thoughts, words and actions.  So I hope that today, you will stop and examine your life and your attitudes and behaviors.  Where have you failed to forgive…and where have you dishonored Jesus in doing so? 

Make this the day that you redouble your efforts to demonstrate your gratitude for all that Jesus has done – and continues to do for us.  Ask Him once again to forgive YOU for your transgressions...then get busy showing others what it means to glorify Him in every aspect of your daily living.  And thank Him that when we get to heaven, sweat will never be a concern!


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: