Daily Devotional for June 7, 2016

Romans 8:18-23
Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will give us later. For all creation is waiting patiently and hopefully for that future day when God will resurrect his children. For on that day thorns and thistles, sin, death, and decay — the things that overcame the world against its will at God’s command—will all disappear, and the world around us will share in the glorious freedom from sin which God’s children enjoy.

For we know that even the things of nature, like animals and plants, suffer in sickness and death as they await this great event. And even we Christians, although we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, also groan to be released from pain and suffering. We, too, wait anxiously for that day when God will give us our full rights as his children, including the new bodies he has promised us—bodies that will never be sick again and will never die.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

A few weeks after my dad died, I was telling a friend about how much he suffered…the two years of daily dialysis that confined him to bed and a machine for 14 hours every night…the chronic depression that made him want to lie in that bed and beg to die much of the time…the constant itching and sensitivity to smells and tastes that goes along with renal failure and makes one miserable…the countless trips to the hospital and Emergency Room for treatments for everything from anxiety to blood loss. And in the midst of this, my dad lost his only son and suffered incredible grief and heartache.  He often cried, “I want to go with him.”  I noted that after all of this, my dad had a stroke one day post hernia surgery that paralyzed him from the chest down…and a few hours later, a heart attack took his life.  I questioned why Daddy had to suffer like this, when the ultimate result was “sudden” death.

I will never forget my friend’s response.  He asked, “In the scheme of things, wasn’t all of that suffering just a ‘blip on the screen’ compared to what awaited your dad in heaven forever and ever?”  He went on to suggest that we think about our earthly suffering in terms of time as we know it…but in comparison to Eternity and the peace and joy that awaits us there, it loses much of its punch and power.

Do not misunderstand me…I know that many have suffered.  I do not in any way wish to diminish any person’s grief, physical discomfort and illness, and heartaches of all kinds.  I know that people are physically, mentally and emotionally ravaged by lousy childhoods, war, the violence and hatred of others, and horrific injuries and diseases. I acknowledge human and animal cruelty…and how agonizing it can be to endure cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and other terrible diseases. I know that life can be very hard for many.  And it is easy to ask God, “WHY?” 

But I also know that because I trust God…because I believe in His promises…the suffering will end – and it will have been a “blip on the screen” for those who trusted Him and waited anxiously for Heaven.  In the meantime, suffering is real for so many…and to those who suffer, I say, “God sees you.  He knows you are hurting, and He is not punishing you.  He is drawing you close in your pain, heartache and grief.  He is strengthening your ‘faith muscle’ as you rely more on Him and less on yourself to do these really hard things.”

I have discovered in the last few days that I’ve been relying too much on my own strength in recent months – and not enough on the power of God…and I didn’t even realize it.  I have finally humbled myself and admitted to God that I need His help…that “life” has been a lot harder than I thought it was going to be…and I cannot do this without Him.  I know that I am not going to be instantly “better” because of this…but my focus has shifted.  I am looking at the bigger picture, rather than the “blip on the screen.” 

I am recognizing just how much I need God in my life…His grace, mercy, forgiveness, and healing.  I have redoubled my determination to walk in faith even more…and to let God carry me as I focus on a broader landscape – and the promise of Heaven – and less on the past and the immediate present.  There will be plenty of unpleasant events and circumstances yet to come in my lifetime, but I will not face them alone.  I will do all I can to wait patiently for God to lead me out of these adversities…and I will look forward to the glory of Heaven and the perfect peace that He is preparing for me there.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: