Daily Devotional for June 14, 2016

Colossians 3:13
Be gentle and ready to forgive; never hold grudges. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

The mass murder of innocent people in Orlando, Florida, has broken our hearts once again over such a senseless act.  For many, it has also re-opened old wounds.  From 9-11 to Sandy Hook to Charleston…and countless heartbreaking events in between...people are reeling and saddened over the compounded effect of these horrific crimes. 

For me, Orlando in particular has caused me to revisit some upsetting memories of events that occurred last summer.  In particular, I have been reminded of some very unkind and ugly remarks that were made in “church settings” toward members of the LGBTQ community following the SCOTUS decision regarding same sex marriage.  I have also recalled some equally disgusting comments that were spouted about our President after he attended memorial services for the victims of the shooting in Charleston, South Carolina – and sang “Amazing Grace.”

In the past year, I have tried to forgive those who said such horrible things.  I am a work in progress.  But over and again, I feel I must keep trying.  Because in my ear, I hear the voice of Jesus reminding me,
“I forgave you…now YOU must forgive others.”

“But LORD…” I cry out.  “They said terrible things about people I love and respect!  They made comments that were not true.  They were so unkind and unloving!”

“Have you not read the unkind things in scripture that were said of Me?  Was I not beaten, spit upon, mocked, and crucified?  Have I turned my back on my persecutors?”


“But, LORD!”

“Yes…BUT LORD, indeed!”

Because of Jesus, we cannot harbor hatred and thoughts or feelings of unforgiveness…toward anyone.  Because of Jesus, I have to redouble my efforts to be kind and loving toward those who have spoken and acted so hatefully.  I have to be kind to the people who I look at and wonder whether they are genuine when they smile and “play nice”…or if in truth they could smack me down because of my own thoughts and feelings - and never blink an eye. We truly do not know what is in another person’s heart and mind…and in some ways, it doesn’t matter.  We are to love them anyway - and treat them exactly as Jesus would.

I know!  It’s so very hard.  I find myself wanting to continually say, “But, LORD!”  And yet, I am reminded that because of Jesus, I have to change my attitude.  “But, LORD, indeed!  But for Him and His loving sacrifice and demonstration of forgiveness, we would be so very lost.  And yet, we are “found”…and forgiven…and SAVED…and promised Eternity in His presence.

Take a long, hard look at your life today.  Be brutally honest and lay bare your soul as you examine where you are operating in unkindness, hatred, and unforgiveness.  Stop protesting and saying, “But, LORD!” and start saying, “LORD, help me!”  He can, and He will…and the world will be a better place because of it. Change starts with one person.  Be that person in your circle of influence.  Let go of grudges, judgments, and unkind thoughts and feelings.  Discover the power of God to make tremendous changes in His people…and let Him begin with you.

   
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: