Daily Devotional for June 16, 2016

Isaiah 1:18
Come, let’s talk this over, says the Lord; no matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can take it out and make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Even if you are stained as red as crimson, I can make you white as wool!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Photo courtesy of Laverne/Steve James
My sister Suzanne had a birthday last week, and a childhood friend shared a photo with us of one of HIS birthday parties, which she and I attended.  We must have been about 6 and 7 in the picture, and I had on a red checked dress (that I am positive my mother made) with white ruffles down the bodice.  I had an almost instant recollection of a red checked dress that very well may have been this same one.  I was playing in our yard one spring/summer day, and I picked up the neighbor’s kitten.  It promptly pooped all down the front of my dress.  My mother was VERY upset…and we were forbidden to ever play with kittens again!

No doubt, Mother had a cleaning challenge on her hands…and I cannot recall if there was a permanent stain on the dress.  Today, we have all sorts of Pinterest “sure-fire” stain removers… Tide® pens…OxiClean™…Shout®…and more. Still, there are some stains that cannot be removed.  But today’s children will never quite know the angst that WE experienced as youngsters when we got a stain on our clothing.  I can remember being quite worried about the trouble I would get in for getting my clothes dirty…can’t you?

This is such a comforting scripture verse.  As I read it, I was instantly transported back to childhood…but this time, I heard the Master saying, “It’s okay…come on over here and snuggle with Me, and I’ll take care of that stain.  I know it looks bad right now…but it will be as good as new soon!”  What comfort lies in these words!  How blessed we are to know that Jesus can fix ANYTHING…and that He is ready and willing to do so!

Several times, I have told Timothy, Zola and Nathan a version of this…”Don’t worry…I’ll fix that”…or “I can get that pizza/strawberry/chocolate stain out!”  But there will be plenty of things in life - including a few “marks” - that I cannot remove.  Isn’t it wonderful to know that Jesus can…and will?  I am so comforted to know that we ALL have a refuge in Jesus…and He truly does wash us as white as snow.

You may have the perfect solutions to soils and stains in your laundry cabinet.  But I can guarantee you that the ultimate “Stain Remover” is only a prayer away.  If you have not surrendered to Jesus, please stop and invite Him into your heart today.  Run to His open arms…snuggle against His chest…and let Him remove every single stain, once and for all.  Know that His “Tide® pen” is always handy when we stumble and get into something we shouldn’t. 

All we have to do is call on Jesus, and He will restore us to pristine condition!  I will never forget that red checked dress – or the day I upset my mother – but I know that she got over it.  Better yet, I know that Jesus does not hold a grudge…or keep a list of my past transgressions.  They have truly been washed “as clean as fresh fallen snow”- and “white as wool” – and it doesn’t get any better.  Isn’t it time you asked Jesus to handle your stains, once and for all?  Will this be the day that He makes you forever clean?

©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: