Daily Devotional for June 29, 2016

Celebrating my brother's first birthday.
Matthew 7:3-5
And why worry about a speck in the eye of a brother when you have a board in your own? Should you say, ‘Friend, let me help you get that speck out of your eye,’ when you can’t even see because of the board in your own? Hypocrite! First get rid of the board. Then you can see to help your brother.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
Today, I am thinking of my brother, Tim, who was born 55 years ago on June 29, 1961.  I am also thinking of a childhood friend, Aaron, who came into this world 2 years later.  Both men are in heaven now…Tim left us in 1998 after a lengthy struggle with liver disease…and Aaron fought a valiant battle with cancer that resulted in his death in 2008.  Tim was a Registered Nurse (RN) who specialized in cardiac care.  Aaron was a well-respected general surgeon. Tim was a gay man who never got to have a spouse and children. Aaron was married – and the father of Colby and Aubrey.

Both Tim and Aaron loved God, medicine – and people.  I am confident that neither of them saw others in terms of race, ethnic background, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, or even gender.  They saw people who had medical needs that they could address…God’s creations…someone who had issues that they were capable of mending in some way.  Both men were very good at what they did and used the gifts that God gave them well.  Both men epitomized the kind of person that I would want to treat me, should I need medical care.

Sadly, as in any profession, I know that there are cases where this is not the norm.  I have personally witnessed people in need of medical care who received the “third degree” because of how they looked…what they were wearing…a perceived idea of their socio-economic level or sexual orientation, and more.  I saw it happen to my Tim…as if because he was a gay man, he was not worthy of the same treatment, kindness, and courtesy as others. I always found this rather odd, because I have a feeling that those same people would have been GLAD to have Tim’s expertise on their side, should they have experienced cardiac arrest!  This even happened to Tim once as he filled out a medical history for two nurses – who both knew that he was an RN and “one of THEM!”

I know there are probably people who think I am something of a “drum-beater” on this issue.  But once it happens to you, the perspective shifts dramatically.  Once you see firsthand how hurtful, destructive, and hypocritical such criticism of others can be, surely one can’t help but behave differently – and champion the feelings of our fellow man. I feel like God has allowed me to see these things in order to sound the bell for others before similar things happen to them – or they engage in such behaviors.  This is my reason for being so vocal about discrimination and mistreatment of others…for any reason.  And I hope and pray that I am never guilty of these things myself…although I suspect that at times, I have indeed been critical - and even hurtful.

Not all of us are called to be surgeons and nurses. Thankfully, we won’t all have to live out our Christian witness via terminal illness.  God has given each one of us a unique purpose on this earth…but each one of us also has our own “plank in the eye.” None of us is perfect.  We will all have moments where we speak without thinking…and say or do things that are hurtful to others – and detrimental to our Christian witness.

God has called us to further His kingdom…not just by TELLING others about Jesus – but also by demonstrating in thought, word and deed that we embrace His teachings of grace, mercy, forgiveness, acceptance, tolerance, kindness, and compassion.  I am so glad that God allowed me to know Tim and Aaron…to see them grow into examples of men who fully accepted their mission and represented Jesus in their daily work.  I hope that I am fulfilling my own Godly assignments…and doing so in a way that honors and glorifies my relationship with Jesus.

Today, I celebrate my brother, Tim, and my sweet friend, Aaron…and all who serve Jesus with unconditional love and kindness.  I am striving to get rid of the “board in my eye” – and keep it at bay forever and ever.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: