Daily Devotional for June 15, 2016

Ephesians 4:31-32
Stop being bitter and angry and mad at others. Don’t yell at one another or curse each other or ever be rude. Instead, be kind and merciful, and forgive others, just as God forgave you because of Christ.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A lifelong friend of mine shared a link on Facebook that featured a portrait of our First Lady and a comment about her poise, intelligence and elegance. Someone responded with a rude litany of hateful comments and some ugly descriptive words.  My friend replied…”Did someone hack your account?  Just doesn’t sound like you.”  The person responded that indeed, she had NOT been hacked, and she continued her tirade.  I loved my friend’s final comment to this person…a simple ”Okey dokey!”

As Whoopie Goldberg always says on
The View when she makes a comment to which some might disagree…”Do not write or call!”  This is not meant to be a political statement. (In other words, please keep your opinions about our First Lady to yourself!) Rather, this is a commentary on a very important – and Biblical – lesson that my mother and others taught me when I was very young…”If you cannot say something nice, do not say anything at all.”  I was also taught to respect other human beings, regardless of whether I agreed with them or not…that words are like toothpaste – once they are “out of the tube” (or one’s mouth), it’s pretty well impossible to stuff them back inside…and rude behavior is never appropriate – or Christ like.  In other words, there are times when the only decent response is, “Okey dokey!”

Does this make us doormats or indicate that we agree with those who would be unkind or rude?  Absolutely not!  This is a good way to say, “I’m not getting involved in this.  I will not embarrass myself – or God – by stooping to this level.”  It is also a way of demonstrating that even when others DO behave badly and emit shameful remarks or actions, we find a way to love them in spite of them…because Jesus requires it of us.

I will be the first to tell you that I have had a few situations, particularly in recent years, where it has been hard to forgive and love anyway…where the words “Okey dokey” or some form of them seemed to stick in my mouth and refuse to emerge.  I still struggle with feelings of bitterness and anger about certain situations.  But I’m working on this…because I know that there are plenty of times when I have angered Jesus with my own thoughts, words and actions.

I know that on any given day, I’ve sunk to a new low in the eyes of God, and He has been rightfully ready to let me have it!  And yet, because of Jesus, I experience abundant grace, mercy and forgiveness…and love everlasting.

So “okey dokey” is my new mantra.  It really covers a multitude of things…doesn’t it?  And yet, I can offer this with love and forgiveness…as I bite my tongue and pray for my own new mercies.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: