Daily Devotional for June 26, 2016

Matthew 6:12-15
"...and forgive us our sins, just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us. Don’t bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the Evil One. Amen." Your heavenly Father will forgive you if you forgive those who sin against you; but if you refuse to forgive them, he will not forgive you.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Yesterday, the Sunday school lesson for my K-1st Grade class was about tattling vs. telling…and bullying.  We talked about what constitutes bullying…and when it is appropriate to tell someone what is happening.  We also talked about relatively harmless behaviors that we sometimes want to share with others that fall in the category of tattling.  A good example would be telling an adult that someone is hitting other children on the playground vs. tattling that a child refuses to share a swing.  In the first example, people could be physically hurt.  In the latter…it’s just a matter of someone possibly being rude.

We also talked about revenge…which scripture tells us is not appropriate.  We read Romans 12:18-19...”Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you to do. ‘I’ll do the judging,’ says God. ‘I’ll take care of it.’”  I asked the children if they felt happy when something bad happens to a person who had been unkind toward them.  One little girl said, “That’s called ‘karma!’”  I had to laugh…but we went on to discuss how this is not our responsibility.  Relishing in another person’s bad fortune (or “karma”) if they have mistreated us is not God’s will…or our job!

I’m often astounded at how what I am sharing with you here dovetails with what I teach to children in Sunday school during the same time period.  Part of our lesson yesterday included the three steps for confronting someone who is offending us in some manner…1) talk to them directly; 2) take someone with you if they won’t listen; and 3) walk away if the person still refuses to change.

I’m not totally “there” yet…but I am learning that harboring unforgiveness does two things to me…1) it eats a hole in my heart and makes me miserable; and 2) it dishonors God.  I have tried very hard to let go of hurts and insults…to give them to God and let HIM handle what happens.  Additionally, “carrying the torch” for an old insult or indignity does the same thing. Sometimes it is hard to walk away…but there are times when we must do this rather than harbor bitterness and resentments.

People who know me well might say that I have a way to go in this department…and they are probably right!  But every day, I ask God to remove all animosity and unforgiveness from my heart.  I know that these attitudes block God’s grace and mercy in my own life.  I know that when I say or do something that displeases Him, my own attitudes affect how – and if/when – He will forgive me.

I don’t know about you, but I need all of God’s compassion and leniency that I can get!  So I will keep working to banish any resentment, bitterness, callousness, and unforgiveness from my heart and mind.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: