Daily Devotional for February 10, 2010

February 10 ~ John 16:23-26
When that time comes, you won't have to ask me about anything. I tell you for certain that the Father will give you whatever you ask for in my name. You have not asked for anything in this way before, but now you must ask in my name. Then it will be given to you, so that you will be completely happy. I have used examples to explain to you what I have been talking about. But the time will come when I will speak to you plainly about the Father and will no longer use examples like these. You will ask the Father in my name, and I won't have to ask him for you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

My husband and I keep our 9-month-old great-nephew, Timmy, several days a week while his mother works and attends college. We never had children of our own, and it’s been several years since I spent much time with a baby. So I have a LOT of questions. There’s an old saying that “Babies don’t come with instructions,” and that’s true! But thankfully, I have a bevy of wonderful experienced mothers I can call… and the Internet for other answers. So I don’t have to wonder if I’m caring for Timmy in the right way.

Sometimes, the answers to our questions are not so readily available. I have heard more than one person who had just lost a loved one say, “I picked up the phone to ask Dad such-and-such, and then I remembered he’s gone,” or “I was going to make Mom’s famous recipe for “whatever” – and I realized that I didn’t have it… and now I can’t ask her how to make it!” And SOME answers, like “Why does God allow children to suffer?” or “Why doesn’t God prevent natural disasters?” will just not be answered this side of heaven!

But the good news is that some day we WILL have all of the answers. I honestly believe that we are not supposed to understand everything about how God operates, because 1) we would not be able to handle it all; and 2) we would lose our need to trust Him and walk in faith that He will sustain us. We can always go to God and ask anything, in the name of Jesus Christ, who died on the cross for us. We can even question why children suffer, wars take place, and natural disasters wipe out entire villages and communities. We can question anything and everything.

Does that mean God will always answer us quickly and in a way we expect? Absolutely not! But He will answer, in the best manner for us at the time. And some day, every single answer to every question we have will be available in heaven. I have a feeling when I get there, the questions/answers I have will no longer matter. But just in case… I’ve got a short list! Meanwhile, I’m leaning on God to meet my daily needs and answer my prayers as He sees fit. He has never failed me yet… and I know He never will.

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: