Daily Devotional for February 24, 2010

February 24 ~ Psalms 35:1-3
Fight my enemies, LORD! Attack my attackers! Shield me and help me. Aim your spear at everyone who hunts me down, but promise to save me.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

As I read this passage, I couldn’t help but envision action figures, ready to strike... Batman, Spiderman… even Indiana Jones! Okay, so maybe I’ve watched one too many adventure movies! But imagine God as the Ultimate Superhero! He takes on all attackers… He shields us from every sling and arrow. He hunts down the devil and his agents and destroys them before they can harm a hair on our heads!

Now, think about your action figure “superheroes” for a minute. What had to happen before they could strike? They had to be summoned! Someone had to let them know that their help was needed. Batman got the “Bat Signal.” Spiderman has a “sixth sense” when danger is near. Indiana Jones ends up in situations that call for faith and courage, and bravado…to save himself and those around him.

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but stick with me… we have to call on God (through prayer) to fight our enemies. Sure, He already knows we need help, but remember… He wants to hear from us. He wants us to voice our needs. He wants us to recognize Him as our Redeemer and call upon Him to avenge us.

Let’s be honest… the Bible is the best “action adventure” ever created. God really is the Ultimate Superhero. And He stands ready to fight for us at every turn… all we have to do is give Him the signal and believe in His power. Superheroes of the comics and movies may be figments of our imagination, but God is REAL and reigns forever. Are YOU trusting Him to save you today?

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: