Daily Devotional for February 27, 2010

February 27 ~ Isaiah 45:14-17

My people, I, the LORD, promise that the riches of Egypt and the treasures of Ethiopia will belong to you. You will force into slavery those tall people of Seba. They will bow down and say, "The only true God is with you; there are no other gods." People of Israel, your God is a mystery, though he alone can save. Anyone who makes idols will be confused and terribly disgraced. But Israel, I, the LORD, will always keep you safe and free from shame.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Recently, I was buying apples in the grocery store. As I started to put an apple into my bag, it slipped and hit the floor and rolled a bit. I picked it up, and as I stood upright, I looked into the face of a lady I know casually, and she said, “Better put that one back and get another.” And believe me… I wanted to do that! But instead, I put it in my bag and told her, “No… then someone else would unsuspectingly get my bruised apple.” She said, “So? They would never know.” My reply – “Yes, but I would.” And I thought to myself… “and so would God.”

Now, before you go polishing my halo, know that there are times I leave my cart in a parking space rather than walk it back to the corral in the rain. There are plenty of instances every day when I displease God. But thankfully, this was not one of them. I knew that I would rather cut away the bruised area of that apple at home than stick it back in the bin for someone else to unknowingly purchase. But I also know that better than 90% of the public would do just that!

Serving God is not always popular. Being a Christian is not always the “in” thing. If you haven’t experienced some form of ridicule or been excluded in some way because standing up for your faith meant you couldn’t do something others were doing, you are a rare bird. Think of parties you didn’t attend because you knew there would be drinking and drug use – and subsequent times you weren’t even invited. Think of the “friends” you had to “give up” because they were not behaving in a manner that pleased God. Think of the times you spoke out against mistreatment of others, racism, or just plain “stinkin’ thinkin’,” and then you were given the “cold shoulder” because of it.

In this passage, we see clearly that God will take care of this. It stings at the time, perhaps. But in the end, God will bless you for your stand… for your faithfulness. In His timing, God will reward you and “handle” those who behave in a way that disgraces Him or is downright sinful. The apple was a very small thing… and I know that the woman who saw me thought I was nuts for taking it home. But maybe next time SHE drops a piece of fruit, she will think twice about returning it to the bin for someone else to purchase. Either way… God will know what she decides. I would rather do the right thing and please God than risk disappointing Him over even a bruised apple, wouldn’t you?

©2009 Debbie Robus


No comments: