Daily Devotional for February 18, 2010

February 18 ~ Matthew 26:26-27
During the meal Jesus took some bread in his hands. He blessed the bread and broke it. Then he gave it to his disciples and said, "Take this and eat it. This is my body."

Jesus picked up a cup of wine and gave thanks to God. He then gave it to his disciples and said, "Take this and drink it.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Just prior to one of our big winter snows of late January/early February, I was shopping for groceries, along with dozens of other people. I met a fellow church member on the bread aisle, and he said, “I’ve got a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread… as long as you have that, you can survive just about anything.” For most of us, we figure if we have bread, we can survive a lot of things, including a snow storm!

Jesus characterized Himself often as “the Bread of Life.” He referred to His body as the bread, and His blood as the wine. As long as we have “the body and the blood,” we can survive anything that comes our way. I spent a lot of years participating in Holy Communion and hearing the words, “this is my body,” and “this is my blood.” I would eat the cracker or piece of bread and drink the juice that was offered. And in many ways, this was just a ritual of the church that we performed once a month… and also at Christmas and Easter.

Now I see that the simple act of eating a piece of bread and drinking a cup of juice – in the context of these things representing Jesus’ body and blood, given for me and my sins – is incredibly huge. I finally made the mental (and Spiritual?) connection between Jesus’ sacrifices on the cross – for me – and how they were represented in Holy Communion. It’s not about the Communion service itself… it is about the understanding that Jesus offered us HIS life in exchange for our sinful one. And because of this, He truly IS our Bread of Life. HIS blood was offered as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins – and this is represented by our communion juice or wine.

Now, when I participate in Holy Communion, I think of all of the daily challenges we face and how Jesus helps us meet them. I think of the sacrifices He made for me, and I am humbled at how unworthy I am – and even more so by the knowledge that Jesus doesn’t expect me to “deserve” or earn His sacrifices on my behalf. I am reminded that I can survive anything because I have my “Bread” and the Cup.

Today, thank Jesus for the “bread and the cup” – and for what they represent. Don’t wait for your church to offer the sacraments of Holy Communion again… celebrate what they represent each and every day. Consider that the bread and cup are given to remind us of how much Jesus loves us – and what He did for us on the cross. Express to God your desire to be sustained every day by the Bread of Life – and covered in the blood of Jesus. Thank Him for such a generous, unconditional gift. Celebrate the knowledge that you can survive anything… because you have the Bread that truly matters. Live in a way that honors Christ as you face head-on the challenges of life each day. A loaf of whole wheat and a jar of peanut butter may work in a snowstorm, but for the storms of life, give me the “bread” of Jesus!

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: