Daily Devotional for February 13, 2010

February 13 ~ John 17:24-26
Father, I want everyone you have given me to be with me, wherever I am. Then they will see the glory that you have given me, because you loved me before the world was created. Good Father, the people of this world don't know you. But I know you, and my followers know that you sent me. I told them what you are like, and I will tell them even more. Then the love that you have for me will become part of them, and I will be one with them.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

We like to fit in, don’t we?! When we go to a sporting event, we like to wear our team’s colors, or a shirt that has our team name and logo on it. We like to wear clothing with designer labels. Some of us like to belong to clubs and groups and be a part of things. We like to be recognized as belonging – to something or someone. We want to be close to our friends and loved ones and to be surrounded by people we enjoy.

Do you find it amazing that Jesus wants the same thing? And yet, it’s true! Jesus wants His followers close. He wants Christians to be readily recognizable as a group. This doesn’t mean He wants us to wear T-shirts that say, “I belong to Jesus” (although that’s fine if you do!) – but He wants us to live in a way that others know we belong to Him. How do we do this? We live for Jesus by sharing Him with others… through kindness and love, compassion and mercy. We show that we are Christians by being joy-filled and positive. We tell others of the blessings that God has done in our lives, and we avoid negative talk, prejudice, discrimination, and dissention.

Sometimes it’s hard to tell the Christians from the unbelievers, because we Christians don’t always behave in a way that pleases God. But we can ask Him to help us do better. We can strive to be more like Christ – our perfect role model – each and every day. It may be nice to fit in with your family and friends, but it’s even better to fit in with Jesus. How are you doing these days?

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: