Daily Devotional for February 2, 2010

February 2 ~ Zechariah 10:1
I, the LORD, am the one who sends storm clouds and showers of rain to make fields produce. So when the crops need rain, you should pray to me.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

None of us has all of the answers. From time to time, we need some help or advice. One time, I was struggling with an issue that I did not know how to handle. Thankfully, I realized that, as a mere human, this situation was beyond my abilities. I asked God specifically to direct me to a person I could talk to who: 1) would have experience with this situation and wisdom about how to handle it; 2) would keep this confidential and not discuss it with others, and 3) was a Christian who relied on God and would advise me in this context. I thought and thought about WHO could help me. “Where was this person, God?”

Not long afterward, and quite out of the blue, a wonderful Christian friend of mine left a message on my answering machine. She needed to talk to me… but more importantly, I needed to talk to HER! I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that God sent her. By the time we actually spoke, the question she had for me had already been answered. But her counsel for me was timely and right on target!

Now here’s the thing. I am not always so humble and smart about such things. Sometimes I try to fix problems myself, or I consult the Internet or an “expert” who wrote a book or an article that I read in some magazine. What I really need to be doing is asking God to lead me to the right answers about everything. So when you have a tough decision to make, talk to God first… not everyone else. If you need strength and courage, don’t turn to a bottle or a pill… or even your best friend. They can’t give you what God can! When you need “rain” for your “crops,” go to the One who sends the storm clouds and showers. Pray – talk to God first… ask Him to show you how to proceed in all situations, and know for certain you are headed in the right direction.

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: