Daily Devotional for February 15, 2010

February 15 ~ Matthew 14:23
Then he went up on a mountain where he could be alone and pray. Later that evening, he was still there.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

How is it that we can sit through three-hour movies, a whole afternoon of football or basketball games, hours of playing video games, or chatting/texting with friends on the phone or computer, but we cannot find five minutes to pray? How often do we sit down to do something and forget all about the time… looking up hours later to realize we haven’t noticed how much time has elapsed? Yet we seldom sit quietly and just talk to God. Why is this?

I will be the first to admit that I am guilty as charged. I have the best intentions of spending a “quiet time” each day with God, but about the most I muster is my 3-mile walk a few times a week. And that’s not all bad. But doesn’t God deserve some “alone time” with us? Doesn’t He deserve some time when we “go to the mountain alone” and sit with Him for a while?

I am challenging each of us to do better in this area – myself included. I am suggesting we give up a television program, a game of solitaire, a few minutes of chat or whatever eats up our time… and spend some “quiet alone time” with our Heavenly Father. I think we will all find that this becomes the best part of our day… the most productive, rewarding, and blessed time. I believe this time spent with God could make every aspect of the rest of our day better. Are you willing to find out?

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: