Daily Devotional for April 1, 2010

April 1 ~ John 20:24-29
Although Thomas the Twin was one of the twelve disciples, he wasn't with the others when Jesus appeared to them. So they told him, "We have seen the Lord!" But Thomas said, "First, I must see the nail scars in his hands and touch them with my finger. I must put my hand where the spear went into his side. I won't believe unless I do this!"

A week later the disciples were together again. This time, Thomas was with them. Jesus came in while the doors were still locked and stood in the middle of the group. He greeted his disciples and said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and look at my hands! Put your hand into my side. Stop doubting and have faith!"

Thomas replied, "You are my Lord and my God!" Jesus said, "Thomas, do you have faith because you have seen me? The people who have faith in me without seeing me are the ones who are really blessed!"

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I was growing up, I heard the story of “Doubting Thomas” over and over. He was the disciple who didn’t believe that Jesus was real until he put his hand into Jesus’ side, pierced by the Roman soldier’s spear. Thomas had to see the nail scars on Jesus’ hands. He needed physical proof that Jesus was alive and real.

Several years ago, I heard a sermon in which this scripture passage was used, but the emphasis was not on Thomas and his skepticism. The pastor emphasized the second half of the passage, where Jesus says, “Stop doubting and have faith.” More importantly, He says (and I’m paraphrasing now), “Those who really have faith in me are the ones who have never seen me, but they believe I exist anyway.” Jesus is talking about you and me! We’ve “felt” Jesus’ presence, maybe… but we have never looked Him in the eye or touched His nail-scarred hands. We’ve never seen His pierced side, much less touched it! But Jesus Himself says that WE are the ones who are really blessed because we believe in Him anyway.

The New King James Version says that Jesus said, “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” The Living Bible quotes Jesus as saying, “Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.” Jesus is telling Thomas that he believes because he can see Jesus… but others believe purely out of faith and a desire to know Him. This pleases Jesus… and He blesses us for our faith. This really hit home with me. Jesus loves my faith – and my faithfulness! It pleases Him! After all He has done for me, that seems like such a small thing in return… but to Him it is HUGE!

Where are you in this equation? Are you like Thomas… waiting for physical proof? Do you need a “sign” before you will really believe? Or are you willing to step out in faith and trust Jesus? The choice is yours… no one will force you to decide either way. But I can tell you that choosing to believe in Jesus can change your life… in a very good way! This is one time where we don’t need physical proof… we just need a leap of faith. Are you ready to jump?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: