Daily Devotional for April 22, 2010

April 22 ~ Matthew 18:10-14
Don't be cruel to any of these little ones! I promise you that their angels are always with my Father in heaven. Let me ask you this. What would you do if you had a hundred sheep and one of them wandered off? Wouldn't you leave the ninety-nine on the hillside and go look for the one that had wandered away? I am sure that finding it would make you happier than having the ninety-nine that never wandered off. That's how it is with your Father in heaven. He doesn't want any of these little ones to be lost.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

During the Christmas holidays, I always make Italian cream cake. This rich dessert has become a family tradition for our holiday dinners, and I rarely make it any other time. This year, I set it on a beautiful antique cake plate that I purchased at the estate sale of a dear friend named Eloise. The pattern was called “Stars and Bars,” and every time I used that platter, I thought of Eloise. When the cake was finished, I slid the platter into my sink to wash it… and somehow it became wedged along the sides of the sink.


I could not budge that platter. I tried more dish soap. I tried gently pulling on the sides… being careful not to crack the plate and cut myself. Then I did a dumb thing. My dish water was very warm, so I got a cup of ice from our freezer and poured it in. CRACK! The plate immediately split into two pieces. Had I been a little more patient and thoughtful, the dish might have come loose as the water cooled. I learned a hard lesson.


The thing is… I have dozens of cake plates and beautiful antique trays that I have purchased at estate auctions. I even have another “Stars and Bars” tray. But almost all of the trays and dishes I keep have a story for me. They belonged to a friend… or the contemporary of my grandmothers. I have two trays that belonged to my grandmother and great-aunt, and I can still imagine them serving delicious little tidbits to their coffee klatch or canasta club. Each one is precious, and I am sad when I break or chip even one.


That was Jesus’ point with His analogy. Every single one of us is important to Him. Even the person you see as insignificant or “hard to love,” Jesus loves and adores every bit as much as He cares for you. I should have been more careful with Eloise’s cake plate. I will learn to live without it. But human souls are not as expendable. We cannot afford to ignore or mistreat a single one! What “sheep” have wandered off in your own life? To whom do you need to reach out today and encourage them back “into the fold?”

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: