Daily Devotional for April 25, 2010

April 25 ~ Proverbs 15:13-15
Happiness makes you smile; sorrow can crush you. Anyone with good sense is eager to learn more, but fools are hungry for foolishness. The poor have a hard life, but being content is as good as an endless feast.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Life is a series of doors and windows. One closes – another opens. As a high school freshman, I planned on majoring in music in college (concert pianist, perhaps?). In the summer after my sophomore year, I worked with preschool children at Vacation Bible School. I loved the children, the art projects, the music – the “whole ball of wax,” and I realized… I needed to incorporate all of that into a profession – teaching! I knew I would never make a huge salary as a teacher, but that didn’t matter. Other teachers managed, and so would I.

Teaching made me happy, but the “red tape” did not. After nine years in the classroom, the door closed. I turned a needlework hobby into a business. The skills I developed creating a newsletter and needlework patterns prepared me with experience in printing, which lent a solid base to our publishing business. My husband closed the door on his profession in Park Administration, and his “people skills” and expertise in the areas of parks and recreation were put into play as we developed a business that was focused on RVers. For the next eighteen years, we were magazine publishers, and then the door closed on that chapter of our lives.

Several years ago, I began writing daily devotionals. I also wrote articles for our magazine, and soon I realized that I really liked to write! Today, the door has opened for me to utilize pieces of all of my “careers” to knit together articles and information for several publications and “PR” projects. I am blessed to be able to pursue something that brings me such happiness. And while our business ventures were successful, there have been times when life wasn’t all that hard, but we were counting our pennies and budgeting carefully. And those may have been our happiest years of all.

The point is… money doesn’t buy happiness. People can’t make you happy. Things won’t last – or satisfy. But doing what you love – being with people you love – appreciating the simplest things and places – truly experiencing a daily walk with God – these things make you genuinely happy! If you are traveling down any other road – if you are chasing dreams and ideas that aren’t your own or you know are bad for you – turn around! There is a saying that “When God closes a door, He opens a window.” Find your “doors and windows” and don’t be afraid to ask God to help you go through them. If He guides your steps, you’ll make the right choices – and you will always find joy on the other side.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: