Daily Devotional for April 26, 2010

April 26 ~ Proverbs 15:30-33
A friendly smile makes you happy, and good news makes you feel strong. Healthy correction is good, and if you accept it, you will be wise. You hurt only yourself by rejecting instruction, but it makes good sense to accept it. Showing respect to the LORD will make you wise, and being humble will bring honor to you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Some of you have heard my story about the time my sister, my cousin and I went to my Mam-ma’s house before Christmas to get a lesson in making peanut brittle. For the record, my Mam-ma Polly is the undisputed Queen of Peanut Brittle Making. Hers is thick and filled with peanuts, but it’s as light and crisp as any of that thin stuff people sell in the buckets… and much tastier. She can still wield a heavy cooking pot of the molten candy, although at 97+ and getting a little shaky, we’d rather she didn’t!

Anyway, several years ago we went for “the lesson,” and she carefully instructed us to stir the sugar and water mixture over heat until it made what she called a “hair” (a very thin ribbon of candy syrup that resembles a curly hair) when you dipped a spoon in it and held it up to let the liquid flow back into the pot. We watched carefully and tried to do it just right. The candy made thin stream of syrup that did indeed look like a little curly “hair,” and we added the peanuts and let them cook. Then we added baking soda and let the mixture foam. We were supposed to stir vigorously at this point, and we took turns doing the various steps. When it came time to pour the hot candy onto a buttered cookie sheet, I was holding the pan, and I took my spoon and started to “help” the candy out of the pan and onto the sheet. BIG MISTAKE! My grandmother went nothing short of ballistic and started screaming, “NO! DON’T EVER SCRAPE IT OUT OF THE PAN! YOU’LL RUIN IT!”

To this day, I have never made a decent batch of peanut brittle. I guess my idea of a good “hair” and my grandmother’s are not the same, because my candy is always chewy, and she says it’s because I don’t cook it long enough. Mine certainly never pours smoothly from the pan, although I have never used a spoon to help it along again! I have decided that I will not be the one carrying on the family legacy of peanut brittle making to future generations. Thankfully my grandmother was more successful at teaching me to make yeast rolls and sweet potato pie. I’ll carry the torch on those and leave the candy to someone else!

We’ve had dozens of good laughs over that day and my “mistake” of pulling the candy from the pot… and my grandmother’s reaction. And it IS good to laugh and smile. But sometimes, we receive instruction from others that we fail to accept, and the results are not funny at all. We sometimes fail to recognize when someone is lovingly offering advice or help, and we interpret their efforts as a judgment on us that we are not doing a good enough job. Or we resent the fact that someone thought we needed help or advice in the first place. OR… we feel our way is better, and we are insulted by the offer.

Sadly, we often reject the instruction of our Heavenly Father… and this is serious business. How many times have you clearly heard or felt God telling you to do something – or to proceed in a certain way – and you did something else? Tell me… how did that work for you? If ever someone was trying to offer help and advice – or instruction – that we truly need, it was God! And He will continue to guide our path. The question is… will we listen? Unlike carrying on a legacy of making delicious peanut brittle, we don’t have the luxury of saying, “I think I’ll pass on God’s guidance.” Oh… many will try… but the results will be far more disastrous than a ruined pan filled with cooked-on candy. Humbly consider this scripture passage today… see where you need to accept good counsel from God – and from mere humans. Grow in wisdom by learning from others – and have the good sense to take a little advice along the way.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: