Daily Devotional for April 18, 2010

April 18 ~ John 3:16
God loved the people of this world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who has faith in him will have eternal life and never really die.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I was watching our great-nephew, Timmy, sleep one day. He looks like such an angel… smooth soft skin, delicate mouth and long, thick eyelashes. He curls up in a tight little ball sometimes, and often he makes little humming noises… and sometimes he even laughs in his sleep. Like many of you with your own children, he is an incredible creature in my book… and I am wildly in love with him! I would walk across hot coals or throw myself in front of a moving car to save him.

Even though I love Timmy incredibly – and unconditionally – it still does not compare to God’s love for us. Why is that? Didn’t I say I would throw myself in front of a moving car for him? Yes, I said that. I would do everything humanly possible for my little guy. But that’s just it… we are human. We do not have supernatural power. We might be able to save the mortal life of someone else, but there is nothing I can do to guarantee Timmy’s eternal life. I cannot save him from sin. I cannot make any sacrifices or give him any gifts that will matter for his soul and his Spiritual well-being.

Only GOD can do this. Only GOD can love like this. Only GOD can make such a sacrifice and give such a gift. And He did just that! He loved us more than anyone else ever can! How are we honoring him? We cannot repay Him. We cannot earn this love. But we can glorify Him, praise Him, live like the children He has called us to be… and we can share His love with others. It doesn’t seem like enough, but if we do our best, He will be pleased. How well are you glorifying your Heavenly Father these days? Are you living a rich, full, glorious life, basking in the unconditional love of God Almighty? Are you showing gratitude and honor for this privilege? God would move heaven and earth for us – and He has! What have we done for Him lately?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: