Daily Devotional for April 30, 2010

April 30 ~ Proverbs 30:7-9
There are two things, Lord, I want you to do for me before I die: Make me absolutely honest and don't let me be too poor or too rich. Give me just what I need. If I have too much to eat, I might forget about you; if I don't have enough, I might steal and disgrace your name.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Life is like a carpenter’s level. Some days the bubble is “plumb,” and we are standing upright Other days it veers a little one way or the other. When do you think about God the most? When life is rocking along really well, we tend to get caught up in the moment and forget about Him, don’t we? We seem to operate more in the “Lord, help me!” mode than the “Thank you for my blessings,” moments. On the other hand, when life starts to unravel a bit at the seams, and we decide that God has forgotten about us, we try to handle things on our own – and often end up in a royal mess.

We need to learn to operate in the middle… somewhere between too much and not enough. This passage is not about either having a lot of money and physical wealth or being dirt poor. These verses speak more to our level of contentment – and where God fits into our lives. This is a reminder to avoid distractions – both “good” and “bad” – and stay centered in Christ. Remember to always be grateful and thankful – filled with praise. Remember that we are always in need of God – His wisdom, guidance, love, grace and mercy. Remember that God is always with us – even when the “chips are down.”

Examine your situation today. See where your “level” is “off plumb” and needs an adjustment. Strive to stay centered – both in your daily living AND in your relationship with God. Let this be your prayer – that you would neither be too rich or too poor by His standards – but perfectly centered in Christ Jesus. If you make this your goal, everything else in life will fall into place. Circumstances in your life may occasionally veer “off plumb,” but with God’s help, you will be able to handle them.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: