Daily Devotional for May 1, 2010

May 1 ~ Psalm 139:13-14
You are the one who put me together inside my mother's body, and I praise you because of the wonderful way you created me. Everything you do is marvelous! Of this I have no doubt.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

In the last few weeks, we have celebrated several birthdays in our family – my mother’s, my husband’s - and soon we will celebrate the 6th birthday of our great-nephew Chase and the first birthday of our great-nephew Timothy. Birthdays are a wonderful time to stop and truly think about the honoree – and to truly celebrate their life and birth. Often we wonder aloud… “Where has the time gone? Has it really been a year already? Can Chase really be six?” And for those of us who are several decades along, we find ourselves musing that “Geez, I’m getting old,” or “I may be this age, but I feel twenty years younger – or older!”

As wonderful as birthdays can be… the concept that God planned us before we were ever conceived is even more astounding – and quite literally, marvelous! God knew every hair on our head before we were even an embryo! Let that really soak in for a minute. God knew about you before you were formed… and He planned every detail of your life… every eyelash and freckle… how tall you would grow and what color your eyes would be. He cares so much about us that He meticulously crafted every wrinkle and fold on our body, and He wove family characteristics and resemblances into us with perfection.

Pretty much every one of us has stood before the mirror on any given day and wondered, “Why do I have such and such?” We’ve griped and complained about our freckles or the way our nose curves. We’ve lamented that “I’m short and squatty like the rest of my family,” or we’ve joked that a sibling with brown hair and eyes in a family of blonds “must be adopted!” In actuality, we should be looking at our image and saying, “WOW, God! Thank you! Thank you for the subtle, intimate thread of familiarity that runs through all the members of my family. Thank you for giving me talents, skills and abilities. Thank you for my fingers and toes, arms and legs. Thank you for such amazing, incredible plans that included ME!”

We serve an awesome, amazing God… a God who cares enough to carefully plan each creature. We stand in awe of a God who formed us in His mind before our parents even met… and then literally brought His concept to life! If that doesn’t make us feel special, nothing will. If that doesn’t make us appreciate God, it’s never gonna happen. Thank God today for the birthdays and celebrations of people in your life – and for giving YOU such an incredible, unique, and blessed life. Thank Him for choosing to love each of us so abundantly – and so well – and celebrate the wonderful way you were created.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: