Daily Devotional for May 3, 2010

May 3 ~ Psalm 23:1-6
You, LORD, are my shepherd. I will never be in need. You let me rest in fields of green grass. You lead me to streams of peaceful water, and you refresh my life. You are true to your name, and you lead me along the right paths. I may walk through valleys as dark as death, but I won't be afraid. You are with me, and your shepherd's rod makes me feel safe.

You treat me to a feast, while my enemies watch. You honor me as your guest, and you fill my cup until it overflows. Your kindness and love will always be with me each day of my life, and I will live forever in your house, LORD.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When things start to fall apart in your life… when you are frightened or worried or frustrated… where do you turn? Do you throw up your hands or kick and scream? Do you wallow in self-pity? Do you call on God and demand that He help you? None of these things are really harmful… and certainly calling on God is a good thing. But look at the first verse of this passage… “You, LORD, are my shepherd. I will never be in need.” Imagine yourself saying these words when a troubling or upsetting situation arises.

Imagine really acknowledging God’s presence and power in your life – and resting in this. “You, LORD, are my shepherd. I will never be in need.” Of course, the rest of this Psalm explains all the many ways that God cares for us and nurtures us. But some of the most important words are those in the first verse. When you find yourself in a situation that you cannot handle on your own – when life becomes a burden or a challenge, think on these words. Say them out loud – and internalize their meaning for your life. Take consolation in knowing that the LORD truly IS our shepherd, and we will never be in need. Let this promise rest in your heart and give you peace and comfort.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: