Daily Devotional for May 9, 2010

May 9 ~ Psalm 91:14-16
The Lord says, "If you love me and truly know who I am, I will rescue you and keep you safe. When you are in trouble, call out to me. I will answer and be there to protect and honor you. You will live a long life and see my saving power."

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When our nephew John was about four, he came to visit us for a few days. One night while bathing him, I turned on the water in the tub, and some hot water came out first, and he yelped! “I’m going to tell my momma!” he cried. I felt horrible. It was hot water… but he was not hurt – just startled, mostly. But immediately – and instinctively – he was ready to call on “the Big Guns” to get me! At four years of age, he figured his mom would make me pay for my transgression against him!

As children, we probably all called out to our mommas – a lot! I know that there are children who cannot call on their parents for help or protection. I saw several in my classroom. I know there are people in this world who feel like they have no protector… no one to stick up for them and say, “I will keep you safe. When you are in trouble, call me. I’ll answer.” But GOD is saying exactly this. No matter who else is or isn’t there – GOD is ready, willing and able to meet our needs.

I pray that you know God in this way. I pray that you feel safe and protected in His presence… and that you are just as quick to call on Him for help as our nephew John was to invoke the protection of his mother. And speaking of mothers, let’s thank God today for His divine inspiration in creating the family as He did. He didn’t have to give us mothers and fathers – He could have just spoken us into existence. But God gave us mothers to nurture us in a unique way. I pray that you have been blessed, as I have, to experience the care and nurturing of a wonderful mother, mother-in-law, grandmothers, and other Godly women who have “mothered” me along the way. To God be the glory for creating our mothers… and for His constant nurture and care for those of us who call on Him.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: