Daily Devotional for May 5, 2010

May 5 ~ Psalm 46:1-3

God is our mighty fortress, always ready to help in times of trouble. And so, we won't be afraid! Let the earth tremble and the mountains tumble into the deepest sea. Let the ocean roar and foam, and its raging waves shake the mountains.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Recently, we’ve had a lot of serious storms come through our state. Tornadoes, floods, high winds, lightning strikes and more have ravaged many communities. Some have even lost their lives. One stormy night, my grandmother phoned me and asked, “What do you think about this weather?” I told her we were watching the warnings on television. At age 97+, my Mam-ma is no longer able to venture to her backyard storm cellar if the tornado sirens sound, so she said she had fixed a spot for herself in an interior closet of her house. I offered – three times - to come and get her and let her ride out the storms with us. She declined, and tearfully she said, “The Lord is gonna take care of me.” While I know that she knows this to be true, she was not convincing me she was confident at that moment! I assured her that this was true… the Lord would take care of her… but I would still come get her if she wished. The storms moved out, and Mam-ma stayed put, and we all slept soundly in our own beds that evening.

How often – in so many circumstances – are we just like my Mam-ma? How often do we know deep in our heart that God will protect us, yet we panic and wring our hands and worry? I’m not talking about just when we get storm warnings. I have to admit, I grew up running to a storm cellar, and tornado warnings still agitate me and set me on edge. I know that I should be calmer and more confident… but I also know that God gave us tornado warnings to protect us by getting us to take cover!

What I’m really talking about are the “storms” of life that upend our world. How do we handle these? Do we rest in the knowledge and confidence that God is our mighty fortress – always ready to help us when troubles come? Do we allow fear (a tool of the devil) to overcome us, or do we settle in and say, “Bring it on, Mister… God will protect me!”? We need to learn to lean on God more. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do our part. When the “storm warnings” are issued, we need to pay attention – and take cover when necessary. But we also need to remember WHO numbers our steps… and call on Him for guidance and protection! God IS our mighty fortress, always ready to help in times of trouble… are you ready to rest in His strength?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: