Daily Devotional for May 15, 2010

May 15 ~ Isaiah 41:10
Don't be afraid. I am with you. Don't tremble with fear. I am your God. I will make you strong, as I protect you with my arm and give you victories.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

My mom has a 53-lb. boxer mix named Spot who is terrified of thunder and storms. My sister has a yellow lab, Wrinkles, who is the size of a small pony. But let a thunderstorm approach, and he tries to crawl in her lap. Both dogs tremble and drool. My sister says she thinks Wrinkles would get under her skin if he could! We don’t know what makes these big dogs so terrified of thunder, but we have learned that this is a common problem with dogs of all sizes and breeds. Sometimes, my sister medicates her dog to calm him when storms come. Sometimes, she just wraps her arms around him and hangs on until it’s over.

Whether we realize it or not, when the “storms of life” threaten, we all are prone to tremble. We may not show fear outwardly, but we are nervous, apprehensive, and worried about what will happen. And some of us shake, tremble, wring our hands, and “freak out” over what is happening. When the chips are down, we often fail to recognize God’s presence. We fail to feel His arms wrapping around us and giving us protection and comfort. We do not hear His voice saying, “Don’t be afraid. I am with you.” And so we “shake, rattle and roll.”

It’s time we started giving our fears to God and allowing Him to handle them for us. It’s time we started acknowledging not only His power to do this, but His desire to protect us. We’ve trembled long enough. We’ve let Satan defeat us too long. It’s time to call on God to make us strong and give us victory. Are you in?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: