Daily Devotional for May 19, 2010

May 19 ~ Hebrews 13:6
That should make you feel like saying, "The Lord helps me! Why should I be afraid of what people can do to me?"

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

One of the hardest lessons for us to learn as Christians is how to lay our burdens at the feet of Jesus – and not pick them up again. We say we trust Him to care for us and meet our needs. We say we believe that He will help us and that all things are possible through Jesus Christ and His strength. Then we wring our hands and wallow in self-pity and doubt… and we worry about everything!

Sometimes I think we enjoy our little pity parties. I knew a woman once who was always complaining about some ailment. If her eyes were open and her lips were moving, she was telling about her latest health problem, doctor visit or medical treatment. Someone once remarked, “That woman delights in poor health.” Another woman I know seems to always have about ten family crises happening at once. One of her relatives is in the hospital, while another just had an accident, while another is struggling in school, and so on… and this woman almost seems to be thriving in the chaos!

To me, the difference in these two women is how they handle their circumstances. The woman who is always ailing seems to delight more in poor health than relying on God to handle her situations. She enjoys talking about her problems and doesn’t seem to ever mention that “God is taking care of me” or “I’ll be alright.” Unlike others who I know are suffering with serious illnesses and never mentioning them, she wants the whole world to know and suffer with her! The woman with the family struggles seems to take them more in stride. She will readily say, “The Lord will take care of it!” If asked, she will share her story, but she also shares her hope and faith that God will help her and recognizes that most of these situations are beyond her control – but well within God’s ability to address them perfectly.

What is your story? Are you known to others as one who delights in problems and self-pity and seems to have little faith? Or are you known as a person who may have BIG mountains to climb, but an even bigger faith that God will lift you up and over them? I hope that I am viewed by others as a woman of faith. I am working hard to lay my worries at Jesus’ feet – and leave them there! What are you doing with your burdens? Who has your back these days?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: