Daily Devotional for May 11, 2010

May 11 ~ Romans 8:37-39
In everything we have won more than a victory because of Christ who loves us. I am sure that nothing can separate us from God's love--not life or death, not angels or spirits, not the present or the future, and not powers above or powers below. Nothing in all creation can separate us from God's love for us in Christ Jesus our Lord!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Someone sent me an e-mail recently and asked some very good questions with regard to our scripture passage from Psalm 91. This person said, “I am a believer and even believe every word and promise in the Bible. However, my problem is sometimes with verses like the one you have used. The verse makes no provisions other than for us to ‘Run to him for safety, and no disaster will strike you or your home.’ Just think of the millions that have been struck by disaster since Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, earthquakes, and recent tornadoes, then the drowning in Tennessee last week. I simply must believe that some of those who died were true believers who ran to God for safety. Help me! How can this be, according to the scripture?”

I do not have all of the answers, but this is my take on things... yes, troubles will come... and I say that over and over in my devotionals. If we did not endure hardship and trouble, we wouldn't need God's safety and care. I try very hard to convey my sincere conviction that even in the depths of the worst tragedy and disaster, God is there. Surely God was with Ward Baldridge when He called him to heaven recently during a tornado that struck Pearson, Arkansas - and I believe the Baldridge family would tell you today that God's care and protection has been evidenced to them in the days since the disastrous tornado - from the people who helped them clean up to the medical care given to Ward’s grandson, Blake, and his wife, Iva Jean (both seriously injured), to the thousands of prayers that have been offered for this family and others who suffered destruction and loss.

I believe that the real "meat" and meaning of this scripture passage is not that "disaster will not strike your home," but rather that no disaster will strike your home that God cannot handle for you - and help you to endure. I have asked God why family members have had to suffer and die... I've asked Him why young men have to endure the horrors of war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Why was there a Holocaust? The only thing that makes sense to me is a pervading feeling that out of these horrific tragedies have come much trust and faith that God can sustain us... and an assurance that even in the darkest hours, He was with those who suffered, just as He was with Jesus on the cross.

What I hope we gain from studying these scriptures - and the insights I try to provide - is that nothing is beyond our capability to handle with God... and even when we struggle and suffer, God hears us and answers according to a far greater plan for our lives than we are able to comprehend. I go back to my opening comment that we would have no need for God if no challenges ever presented themselves. I do not believe God uses these things to humble us... but rather that He uses circumstances and events to show us how to draw closer to Him and call on Him when life is too big for us to handle. I know that has been the case in my own life... and I hope I am truly growing in trust and letting go of fears, believing that God will be with me no matter what happens.

I hope this makes sense. I welcome all questions and comments, and I hope you know that my responses do not mean I believe that I have all the answers. These are my opinions, based on prayer, study, personal experience – and conversations with others with more expertise in Bible study than I have. I encourage you to also dig and study for yourself and see where God leads you – what answers He presents. I believe God’s desire is for us to continually grow and learn about His will for our lives. Ultimately, the “big picture” will be revealed to us in Heaven…and this gives me hope and encouragement for what is yet to come. I pray that it does the same for you.

The person who wrote to ask the question replied, “If one does not read the Bible and sometimes wonder -- then I wonder why he/she does not read more.” I wholeheartedly agree. Keep learning and seeking God – see what amazing things He will reveal to you in the process!

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: