Daily Devotional for May 30, 2010

May 30 ~ Genesis 26:23-24
Isaac went on to Beersheba, where the LORD appeared to him that night and told him, "Don't be afraid! I am the God who was worshiped by your father Abraham, my servant. I will be with you and bless you, and because of Abraham I will give you many descendants."

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Has it ever occurred to you how much other people influence your life? Especially when we are young, we tend to hold many of the same values and opinions as our parents and grandparents. For instance, I know that my apprehension about thunderstorms and tornadoes is a direct result of the countless days and nights I was whisked to the storm cellar with great fanfare and drama. I know that some of the people with whom I grew up have a strong, but misguided, fear of people of other races, because their parents and/or grandparents have told them over and over how inferior these people are. I know many young children who have no real basis for any political leaning and are years away from being able to cast a vote, yet they are squarely in the camp of one candidate or political party.

What does this have to do with Abraham and Isaac? I’ll tell you! Abraham was God’s faithful servant. Even when God told him to take Isaac to the altar and offer him as a living sacrifice, Abraham obeyed. Now, we all know that God did not allow this to happen, but He did bless Abraham’s faithfulness. And all through his life, Isaac witnessed how his father served God. So it’s a pretty fair bet that Isaac was equally faithful, due to his father’s example and influence. And God told Isaac that he would bless him and multiply his family because of Abraham.

So the point is…God will bless you for your faithfulness and your servitude. But more than that… He stands ready to bless those over whom you have influence. The more you trust God and serve Him, the more those who look up to you and follow you will do the same – and enjoy the same blessings. Make sense? I know… the magnitude of the responsibility to live for God is HUGE! But think how worthwhile it is. I know I am blessed because of the Godly influences in my life – even if they did contribute to my fear of storms! And with God’s help, we can overcome negative influences (and I have come a long way in the storm department!) I bet many of you were blessed to have faith-filled servant relatives who influenced you, too. Our job is to “pay it forward”… to live a courageous, fearless life in Christ and pave the way for future generations. It’s a big order… but I know you are up to it! Trust God to show you how to serve Him, and to be with you every step of the way.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: