Daily Devotional for May 17, 2010

May 17 ~ 2 Timothy 1:7
God's Spirit doesn't make cowards out of us. The Spirit gives us power, love, and self-control.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

“What in the world have I gotten myself into?” Have you ever asked this question? Have you ever accepted a job or a particular task – or agreed to serve on a committee or spearhead some project – and then second-guessed yourself? Maybe you wondered, “What was I thinking?” Often when we try something new, we have moments of doubt. “Can I really do this? Am I qualified? How will I get it all done? What will other people think?” All of these are questions we may ask. And many among us have asked some of these same questions – or similar ones – when it came to living the life of a Christian.

We worry about our past. We wonder how we can measure up to others we consider to be strong, faith-filled witnesses. “How can I serve alongside so-and-so? What can I bring to the table? Will people believe me if they know where I’ve been and what I’ve done?”

The truth is… God does not care about your past, your fears, your insecurities and your apprehensions, because He doesn’t see them. He sees His child, equipped with everything needed to serve Him and witness to others… because He gave you these things! So be confident in your faith. Step up and out and do whatever He calls you to do. And trust God to help you with the things of this world, too… from that project at school or work to how you will manage your new baby and the demands of a job and a family. God has given you the power, love, and self-control you must exercise in every situation. Be bold in your usage of His gifts and see where they can take you.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: