Daily Devotional for May 18, 2010

May 18 ~ Ephesians 3:12
Christ now gives us courage and confidence, so that we can come to God by faith.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When my brother was in the first grade, we lived in Oklahoma for a while, and we would travel to a little town called Wagoner, where we took swimming lessons at a junior college. The indoor pool had two diving boards – a low board and one that was very high. My little brother wanted so badly to dive from that high board. His friends were all jumping from that height, and his instructor encouraged him to try it, too.

So Tim climbed the ladder and walked out to the edge of the board… and froze. The instructor below was encouraging him… “C’mon… just jump. I’m right here.” Over and over, Tim would shake his head “No!” The kids in line behind him grew restless, but he was still trying to muster his courage to jump. The instructor continued to tread water and encourage, but this was going nowhere. Finally, my little brother left the board and climbed back down the ladder, dejected and a little defeated… but still uncertain that it would have been okay if he had jumped.

How often are we like this with God? We walk to the edge of the high board, and then we end up climbing back down the ladder. We lack the faith that God won’t ask us to do anything He can’t help us handle. We don’t trust that He will really be there to catch us and keep us from drowning. In my brother’s defense, I didn’t jump off the high board, either, and I was in the fifth grade! It was a daunting height for a six-year-old. But when it comes to leaps of faith with God, I’ve taken my share… and He has never failed me. I can promise that what He does for me, He will also do for you. Be confident and full of courage in Christ Jesus, and boldly step out in faith to do whatever God requires.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: