Daily Devotional for May 29, 2010

May 29 ~ Joshua 1:9
I've commanded you to be strong and brave. Don't ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the LORD your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I was about five or six years old, my mother took me to a local dentist to have my teeth checked. This was not our “regular” dentist, and I’m really not sure why we went to see this man. Nonetheless, when it was time to go to the exam room, the dentist would not allow my mother to come along. In fact, he locked the door between the waiting area and the exam rooms! I was already apprehensive, but now I was downright scared! I was totally alone with this scary dentist and his nurse, and I needed my mother! Thankfully, my mom was no dummy – she promptly walked around the clinic and came in through the back door. And we never visited that dentist again!

Through the years, I was either at the dentist for whom my grandmother was a chairside assistant – and she was there to hold my hand – or my mother was with me. She sat with me through oral surgeries, application and tightening of my braces, and more. And I was not afraid. Just knowing either she or Mam-ma were beside me or just outside in the waiting area gave me courage. And I knew the door was not locked!

Think about this… God is always with us… and try as he might, Satan has not locked the door and separated us from His love and protection. We can face anything headlong, because God will always be right beside us, holding our hand, offering encouragement and comfort. Be strong and brave… don’t ever be afraid - you don’t have to be! Almighty God is always along for the ride… and you couldn’t be any better protected. Recognize His presence. Thank Him for being there… and for holding your hand every step of the way.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: