Daily Devotional for May 6, 2010

May 6 ~ Psalm 91:1-2
Live under the protection of God Most High and stay in the shadow of God All-Powerful. Then you will say to the LORD, "You are my fortress, my place of safety; you are my God, and I trust you."

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Have you ever seen a nature show on television where a storm was brewing, and a mother bird lifted her wings and gathered the babies underneath them. There the little baby birds rested in the shelter and safety of their mother, who was the most formidable being in their universe. It sometimes helps us grasp a concept if we can create a related visual image. Several years ago, I began to create a mental image of Jesus as He sits in heaven. He is wearing the softest, silkiest flowing robe – creamy white – and it smells like fresh air and clean laundry. His arms are extended, and He is welcoming me to fall into His arms. In my imagery, I do just that…drinking in the clean fragrance and feeling strong arms engulfed in silky soft fabric wrap around me. I am home… I am safe… I am in the presence of the most formidable Being in the universe.

We’ve all stood out in bright sunlight and felt its warmth – or in some cases, heat that quickly became uncomfortable, or even unbearable! We’ve all experienced the relief of stepping into the shade of a tree or building and escaping the heat and glare of the sunlight. God is like the shade of the tree or the building… ready to shield us from the glare and heat of sin and strife. His arms are like those of the mother bird…ready to shelter us from the “storms” of life. His love and power are like the strong, welcoming arms of Jesus, shrouded in a fragrant silky robe… ready to engulf us and provide us with a place of safety and comfort.

How do you envision God? Do you see Him as your protector… your fortress… your safe haven? Do you trust Him to provide you with all of these things – and more? Who gives you shelter in times of trouble? Who is providing your shadow these days?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: