Daily Devotional for April 23, 2010

April 23 ~ Philippians 4:11-13
I am not complaining about having too little. I have learned to be satisfied with whatever I have. I know what it is to be poor or to have plenty, and I have lived under all kinds of conditions. I know what it means to be full or to be hungry, to have too much or too little. Christ gives me the strength to face anything.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

December 20, 1980, my grandparents’ house burned to the ground. My grandmother was preparing breakfast, and my grandfather was checking on his cows. They were headed to church later. In what seemed like the blink of an eye, their house was gone, and they were left with a few drawers of clothing they had rescued, their vehicles, a chair, the family mantel clock and Bible, and one photo album. Gone were all of the “things” of my childhood memories… this was the only home I had known for my grandparents in 23 years. I still remember when I arrived and hugged my dad, and he said, “It’s okay… they (meaning my grandparents) are both okay, and that’s all that matters.”

It could have been so much worse. The heat from the fire was so strong that it melted cast-iron skillets and my grandparents’ cast-iron claw-footed bath tub. Literally nothing was left except a few foundation stones. The beautiful quilts my grandmother hand-pieced and quilted were gone, along with some amazing antique furniture and the china my grandmother saved her pennies to buy at the local “Five and Dime.” My grandparents worked very hard for everything they had acquired. But they were not defined by their belongings. People knew that my grandmother made beautiful quilts, but she was – and still is – known more for her large personality and her generous spirit. People associated my grandparents with their service to their church and others… and how they loved their family… not with their possessions.

I go to a lot of estate auctions and sales, and I can tell you with absolute certainty, your belongings are all just “stuff.” When you see “prized possessions” laid out on a flatbed trailer and auctioned for a few dollars, you realize that these things belonged to a real person with real thoughts, feelings and problems. Hopefully, these “things” did not define that person… and hopefully you are not defined by what you own, what you drive, where you live, or even your pedigree!

Hopefully, you would be just fine if – Heaven forbid – you were stripped clean of all of your belongings.

My grandparents rebuilt, thanks to the kindness and generosity of a lot of people who loved and cared for them. Others have done the same. But GOD rebuilt their spirit… and we were all reminded that HE is what matters, not “stuff!” What is important to you? Where do you place your value? How content are you in all circumstances? Are you counting on Christ to give you strength? Shouldn’t you be?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: