Daily Devotional for April 9, 2010

April 9 ~ 2 Peter 1:3
We have everything we need to live a life that pleases God. It was all given to us by God's own power, when we learned that he had invited us to share in his wonderful goodness.


Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Recently, my husband and I set out with Timmy to attend a high school baseball game. I packed a bag with everything I thought I would need – diapers, bottles, a blanket, a sweater, wet wipes, sunscreen, and a toy. You would be proud of me… I did not carry my purse! I stuck the few things I felt I might need for myself in the baby’s bag. We tossed the stroller in the back of the vehicle and headed to the ball field… and the game had been cancelled. As usual, I had over-packed… although this time, I might have actually needed everything I brought if the game had taken place.

How often do we over-pack our lives? God gave us everything we need when we invited Jesus into our hearts… salvation, Eternal Life, the Holy Spirit to guide us each day, Scripture, prayer for communicating with Him directly, comfort, joy, peace, protection, and more. We are continually trying to add to this… worry, concern, fear, loneliness, frustration, pain, sorrow, discord, strife, busyness, over-indulgence, gluttony, envy, jealousy - and sins on every side.

It’s time to “un-pack the bag” and get rid of the things we really don’t need. It’s time to de-clutter our lives and get back to the basics of our faith. It’s time to take a good hard look at the things God put in the bag and see their value… and to get rid of anything that isn’t necessary or put there by God! Going to that ballgame without my big purse full of “stuff” was a huge step for me. I have to admit, I was a little uneasy at first… but in the end, it was extremely freeing. Our baggage and “extras” drag us down. What baggage have you added lately? Isn’t it time you cleaned out the bag and got back to the basics God provides? This truly is everything we need… and more. The rest is total clutter - and needs to go. Are you ready?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: