Daily Devotional for April 17, 2010

April 17 ~ John 13:33-35
My children, I will be with you for a little while longer. Then you will look for me, but you won't find me. I tell you just as I told the people, "You cannot go where I am going." But I am giving you a new command. You must love each other, just as I have loved you. If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I think of J.B. Hunt, I think of a faithful Christian man who was also successful in business. A few years ago, I was attending a “class reunion” banquet called “Early Decades.” The banquet is a chance for people who graduated 30 years ago or longer to get together and see one another and reminisce about “the good ole days.” On this particular night, I recognized Mr. Hunt standing beside a nearby table, along with his wife and some family members I know quite well. I greeted him and shook his hand, and I told him who I was by referencing my parents and my grandfather. I told him that my grand-dad spoke of him often and was so proud of what he had accomplished.

I didn’t tell Mr. Hunt this, but my grand-dad always spoke more of his personal character and strong Christian faith than he did J.B.’s business success. In fact, the last conversation I ever had with my grand-dad was about J.B. Hunt. He was scheduled to speak at the Rotary Club in Heber Springs, and my grand-dad said, “Oh, I would love to hear him speak.” Ironically, the last conversation I had with Mr. Hunt was at that banquet. He died a few months later after falling on some ice.

Having grown up in Heber Springs, I know a lot of the “old-timers.” My husband likes to joke that people need to be careful what they say to me about folks around here – because they are probably my relatives! And while that is not as true today as a few years ago, it still bodes well to watch who you talk about when you are around me! I’m just kidding! But the point is… how do people know you? Are you the child or grand-child of someone that others recognize? Are you known for your reputation – good or poor? Are you known as the banker’s son or the cop’s daughter or the preacher’s kid? Are you known as Joe’s wife or Sue’s husband? Are you known as a Christian – a disciple of Christ?

See, that last one is really the only one that matters. It doesn’t matter whose son, daughter, wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, team mate, or friend you are… except for Jesus. If people can’t readily see that you are Jesus’ disciple, nothing else matters. When we get right down to it, everything else is a label applied by humans… but “disciple of Christ” was bought and paid for on the cross. That label matters! It’s the one we should want. Are you loving – and living – in a way that allows others to see your discipleship? Isn’t it time you did? How are you known these days?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: