Daily Devotional for October 1, 2010

Psalm 32:8
You said to me, "I will point out the road that you should follow. I will be your teacher and watch over you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I have had great instructors in my life … my mom and mother-in-law, my grandmothers, my piano teacher, a wonderful creative writing teacher in college, childhood Sunday School teachers and more than one pastor who have mentored me along the way. I can still hear their words of advice and direction as I go through daily activities. And many of these wonderful people still watch over me today.

Just last week I received a note from a lady who was my Sunday School teacher … when I was in second grade! While at the beauty shop with my grandmother recently, I shared a visit with another lady who has loved me and watched over me since childhood. I am truly blessed to have had so many mentors and caring people who surround me. A few days ago, I visited with a dear friend who has known me forever – taught my high school English class – and now we enjoy conversations about religion, politics, our families, good books and movies, local history, and more.

What is most important about all of these mentors and “instructors” in my life is that they have something in common … a love for Jesus and a faith in His promises. And they have conveyed this love to me over and over again. So ultimately, my Chief Instructor is God Almighty. He has pointed out which road I should follow – and sent agents to make sure I “get it!” He has given me His Holy Spirit to dwell in my heart, be my teacher and watch over me each and every day.

Let’s face it… none of us would make it in this world without good instruction … and great teachers. I’m betting you have been blessed with several of your own, and I know that God can guide you … if you will listen and pay attention. Who are your instructors these days? I ask, because there are good and bad teachers and role models/mentors, and we must choose those we will follow wisely.

Be sure that you listen first and foremost to the guidance given by God. Read your Bible and communicate openly with Him. Then ask God to give you anointed, holy, earthly mentors and instructors to help you navigate the challenges of everyday life … and to watch over you.

As you grow in wisdom and confidence in the Lord, look for opportunities He is providing for you to pay it forward and be a holy instructor for someone else. Open yourself to God’s instruction … and the chance to share what you have learned with others. Thank God for giving us wisdom and discernment – and good earthly mentors and role models. And the next time you see someone He chose to watch over you, give them a hug and say “Thanks!”

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: