Daily Devotional for October 15, 2010

Psalm 141:3
Help me to guard my words whenever I say something.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Every single one of us has said something we regret. Some of us make a career out of doing this. This doesn’t necessarily make us bad people … but it does reflect on our character – and our maturity. “But I know people in their 80’s and 90’s who are continually speaking their mind and saying hurtful things,” you may say. So do I … but age is no excuse for misbehaving!

The maturity of which I speak is not the kind that comes with age or experience. I am speaking of a maturity and character that comes from spending time in the presence of God. I can tell you from personal experience that the closer I get to God, the easier it becomes for me to check my words before I speak them. This doesn’t mean I never say things I shouldn’t … or speak without thinking. But I can say that I do this far less often than I once did.

More than once I have opened my mouth to say something to someone and stopped short. I’m still a work in progress, but I’m learning that often what I am about to say is not something I should be saying … or telling … or discussing. I’m learning that sometimes I need to re-evaluate the words I am about to speak and figure out a better way to say it – or keep it to myself. And again, I am a work in progress!

We cannot do this on our own. God may use our personal experiences and time to direct us in this area. But truly, the only way to guard your mouth and the words you speak is to stay close to God … to vocally seek His help with this … to study the scriptures and learn how to call on the Holy Spirit at all times as you go about your daily living.

This is a wonderful scripture to commit to memory … and committing to keeping it could have amazing results – for yourself and everyone you encounter. Imagine if we all began to guard our words more closely. Even better, imagine if GOD were guarding our words and helping us choose them. Are you willing to give this a try? Let’s do this together and see where God takes us. Let’s expect great things and give Him praise when He delivers. I’m in … are you?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: