Daily Devotional for October 24, 2010

Proverbs 6:20-22
Obey the teaching of your parents -- always keep it in mind and never forget it. Their teaching will guide you when you walk, protect you when you sleep, and talk to you when you are awake.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Recently, my grandmother was involved in a car accident, and she was treated at our local hospital emergency room for a bruised sternum. This was not a life-threatening injury, but at her age, the ER staff told me she would be woozy the first night and needed someone to stay with her. So I went home with her and spent the night.

My grandmother keeps a very warm house, and I was anything but chilly. However, the next morning, she got up and said, “I woke up in the night and thought… ‘I bet that kid is cold.’” At 53, I scarcely consider myself a kid, but I guess I still am to someone who is 98! And I had to laugh that, at my age, she is still worried about me with a motherly instinct… even when I sleep!

As we watch our baby Timothy learn to walk and run and talk… and we stand over him as he sleeps to make sure he is warm and cozy and safe… I find myself thinking about our Heavenly Parent – our Father God – and how He is constantly looking out for us. He is always teaching us… always talking with us and walking with us … even when we sleep.

Doesn’t this make everything better? Doesn’t it give you a laugh to think that the God of the Universe still considers you His kid and cares about the smallest details of your life? Doesn’t this make you want to live smarter, walk and talk better, and represent Him with honor and glory at every turn?

My prayer today is that we would recognize how God is monitoring our every breath … that we would remember His teachings and strive to continually grow closer to Him in every aspect of our daily living. Always keep God in your mind, and never forget Him. He will never leave your side… even when you sleep… and you will always be His kid.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: