Daily Devotional for October 22, 2010

Proverbs 3:21-24
My child, use common sense and sound judgment! Always keep them in mind. They will help you to live a long and beautiful life. You will walk safely and never stumble; you will rest without a worry and sleep soundly.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Insomnia has become a huge problem in recent years for many people. Or maybe we are just more aware of how widespread this problem is for a number of people. In any case, there are now a lot of medications that are reputed to help with insomnia… from Ambien to Lunesta to over-the-counter solutions like Tylenol P.M. and more. Who knew that perhaps one of the best “cures” for insomnia could be found in Proverbs 3 … and why are we surprised?!

“But you don’t have any idea how many worries and stresses I have,” you may be saying. “When my head hits the pillow at night, my mind just races.” I do know… I’ve been there myself.

Proverbs 3:21-24 and scripture passages such as Psalm 127:2, which says in the King James Version…”It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep,” tell us clearly that God wants us to clear our mind, to give our worries and cares to HIM, and to sleep and rest soundly. I know this is hard… and I’m not saying some of us don’t need a little something to help us over the hump with this from time to time.

I do believe that we often fail to give our worries and burdens, stresses and “busyness” completely to God. We give Him our troubles to hold for a few minutes – and then we pick them back up again. As for common sense and sound judgment, I know firsthand that I make the mistake of failing to consult God often enough… in all situations. How hard would it be to stop and take five seconds to say, “Lord, help me to say the right things,” or to ask, “Lord, what should I do?” Even if you have to put down the phone, or raise your hand and say to someone, “Excuse me for a second,” then close your eyes and silently pray for guidance… imagine how this could affect the outcome!

If we spent more time involving God in our lives and consulting Him about even the smallest choices and decisions, our sleep might be more restful and sound… and come more easily. Our life would most certainly be more beautiful and peaceful, and we would stumble far less often.

My prayer for all of us is that we would commit to involving God more completely in our day-to-day living, and that we would experience more rest and peace in our sleep… and more safety, comfort, and blessings in our very lives. Do you have a few seconds to spare to communicate with God? Are you willing to see what a difference it can make?

©2010 Debbie Robus



No comments: