Daily Devotional for October 18, 2010

Proverbs 21:23
Watching what you say can save you a lot of trouble.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Recently, a friend posted a comment on Facebook about how a couple of his college professors were two of the most despised instructors on campus. This may seem like a harmless comment, but think about it … on the off chance that one of these instructors saw your post, do you really think this would make them go easier on you?

Most of us have probably shared something with someone in confidence and asked them not to repeat it … only to discover later that the person did just that. Or, we have gotten in stressful situations where we spoke nervously and said things we regretted later. The result of both is a lousy feeling.

You have no idea how God has used this scripture to speak to me … and maybe He is doing the same with you. More than ever, we are living in an age where every word we speak can be monitored, recorded, preserved for posterity, and misconstrued. In my case, I often encounter miscommunication challenges with my grandmother and her friends. I say one thing … she hears another. Or, she forgets what I told her and repeats her version of the conversation to family members and friends. In this situation, even watching what you say can still result in trouble!

For many of you, the current challenge is watching what you say online, via text and chat, and in social settings with your friends. Many innocent statements made using electronic media take on a completely different connotation when posted. Context is lost. Voice tone and inflection are not present … and the words take on a very different meaning. So “jokes” passed back and forth on a friend’s Facebook wall are seen by others and taken as an insult. A seemingly harmless rant about a college professor gets shown to him/her, and chances are good that things will be more difficult for you in that class.

Worse yet, trusting a wide circle of “friends” and sharing every detail of your personal life can lead to misunderstandings, gossip, and potentially hurtful untruths being spread. A good example is when you start dating someone. Sure, you want to get to know the person – especially if you really like him/her. But sharing your whole life history on the first few dates is probably going too far and could cause serious heartache and trouble down the road - particularly if this relationship doesn’t last.

I have been having a serious conversation with God in recent days, asking Him to help me to moderate my speech – and to give me more wisdom and discernment in this area. I am asking Him to show me how to be more cautious, less trusting, and far less naïve. I am asking for wisdom in my communication, so that my words and their meaning are not misunderstood or misconstrued by others. And I am asking that what I speak would always be the truth, spoken with love, care and respect … and exactly what HE wants me to say.

I have a long ways to go, but I know that God can perform miracles where I make messes. I know that He can accomplish things I never dreamed possible. And I know that He can guide our thoughts, our words, and how they are interpreted by others. The key is to ask for His help … and then to listen for His guidance - and take it! This honors our relationship with God, which should be motivation enough. But if this also keeps us from getting into trouble, wouldn’t you agree that it’s even more worth the effort?

Even if you don’t feel this is an issue for you, I invite you to ask God to “double-check your work” – and your thoughts and speech. Make sure He is guiding your words and keeping you in agreement with His plans … and safe from the trouble that comes from dropping your guard.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: