Daily Devotional for October 5, 2010

Psalm 101:5
Anyone who spreads gossip will be silenced, and no one who is conceited will be my friend.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Believe it or not, there are people who thrive on gossip and fill their days with it. Do you know someone of whom it is said, “If you want to know what’s going on, just ask So-and-So.” I don’t mean local history or what events are coming up at school or in your community … I mean the down-and-dirty personal details of the lives of others. And people like this live in every community. Have you ever had someone sit with you for a visit, and you felt like the whole time you were talking, they were merely trying to pump you for information about certain situations and people? It’s frustrating, isn’t it?! I surely hope you are not one of these people!

Equally upsetting are those who “put on airs,” as my grandmothers used to say. These are people who look sideways at those who are not “like them” in some way – dress, apparent economic or social status, race, creed, color, and more. I have to admit, I’ve been somewhat convicted lately that I fall into this category for laughing at those “people of Wal-Mart” e-mails I get. “But those are hilarious!” you may be saying… and you’d be right. But I have realized that I am laughing at someone else’s expense. And while they very well may deserve it for dressing in underwear and fur boots or overexposing themselves inappropriately and choosing t-shirts that have indecent slogans, these are still children of our Most High God. He loves them as much as He loves you and me, regardless of their ridiculous choices. By laughing at them, even in private, we are setting ourselves apart – being conceited – and that does not make us a friend of God.

Let’s be honest. Gossip can be fun! We can get big belly laughs from the antics of others, and it’s easy to fall into the trap of feeling “high and mighty.” But all it takes is one dose of being on the wrong end of gossip to know how hurtful this is – and how bad it feels. All it takes is one slip-up and feeling like someone thinks they are better than you to know that this is wrong, un-Godly behavior. And as this passage points out, some day, God will deal with those who gossip and are conceited … and I have a feeling that will be a very embarrassing day for many.

I don’t want to stand before God in heaven some day and have to admit that I gossiped and considered myself to be better than others. I don’t want to hear Him ask me why I thought this was a good idea … or to express disappointment in my behavior choices. More than this, I don’t want to dishonor Him now by choosing behaviors that displease Him. And hopefully, neither do you!

Let’s make a concerted effort to avoid gossip – and let’s operate in a spirit of humility. On any given day, we could bear the brunt of gossip and conceit from others … and we know that would feel awful. Let’s work to make sure that none of this comes from us. Let’s be the hands and feet of Jesus at every turn and share His Good News, love, grace and mercy with everyone we encounter.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: