Daily Devotional for January 16, 2011

John 16:22
You are now very sad. But later I will see you, and you will be so happy that no one will be able to change the way you feel.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A dear sweet lady who attended my church passed away this week. Ms. Gene was 93 years young. I mentioned her passing to my cousin, who knew her even better than I, and she said, “It’s sad, but she’s missed her husband, Leo, long enough. Every time she spoke it seemed she had something to say about Leo… 'Leo Gray always said…' or some other reference to him." My cousin said, “It's time she was with him again.” And truly, I was not sad that Ms. Gene has gone to heaven as much as I was sad that we will miss this spunky little lady here on earth. I know that Ms. Gene and others who have gone to heaven would not change things and return to this earth for anything. As much as I miss my loved ones who have passed, I wouldn’t begin to ask them to return… and they would not oblige anyway! And nothing I could say or do would change their minds.

Here’s the lesson in today’s passage… and it’s not about heaven, really. Or maybe it is, to some degree. See, I think we should be living in such a way now that we don’t have to get to heaven to know the glory that awaits us there. I know that my thoughts about this earth will change when I am finally at the feet of Jesus. But I think the real change ought to take place NOW! I ought to live on this earth like I’m already at Jesus’ feet.

Oh, sure… heaven will be much more wonderful. Things will be different there. But so much of what God offers us, we put on a shelf and “save” for when we get to heaven. There is so much that we could be enjoying and experiencing now, if we would only open our hearts and minds to the possibilities.

There will be moments of sadness in all of our lives… but they don’t have to last. We don’t have to wait until we get to heaven to see Jesus… at least not totally. He is evident everywhere we look. His Holy Spirit can dwell in our hearts and everything we say and do can be permeated by His influence. We can change the way we feel today and experience all the joy He desires for us on this earth. It may not be as good as heaven (and most assuredly, it’s not!), but it can be pretty great if we’ll let Him have control.

This is sort of like the person who saves their good pajamas “in case I have to go to the hospital,” or someone who puts away nicer clothes for a special occasion… and that occasion rarely, if ever, happens. Nice clothes don’t do you any good in the closet or drawers… and saving your joy in Christ for heaven won’t help you in this lifetime. Start living fully – change your heart and mind and let the Holy Spirit fill you from the inside out… and be so happy that no one will be able to change the way you feel today. Heaven will be better… but with God in control, life on this earth can be pretty good, too!

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: