Daily Devotional for January 6, 2011

Psalm 102:25-27
In the beginning, LORD, you laid the earth's foundation and created the heavens. They will all disappear and wear out like clothes. You change them, as you would a coat, but you last forever. You are always the same. Years cannot change you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Recently, I gave my closet what I considered a “good cleaning.” I have items of clothing that are more than a decade old… and some jackets that are even older. I know that a few people are probably saying, “I believe it… no wonder you look so outdated!” But I do not like to get rid of things. And honestly, some of these items are still in style – or they have come back into style – and they have a lot of good “wear” left in them!

Some of my shoes are really well-made and appear to be headed toward lasting forever. Others… like my favorite pair of more-than-10-year-old fake leather boots… recently started to “flake” apart. I had to admit that they were worn out and needed to go. And on closer inspection, a lot of the items I thought I couldn’t live without had seen better days or no longer were right for me. So I sacked and sorted and donated and threw away. And I have to admit… I’m really happy with my “new” closet. Even though there are fewer items there, it seems more orderly and spacious… and what is left seems to make more sense.

This is a good time of year for us to clean our “Spiritual” closet, too. It’s time to let go of some old, outdated – or misinformed – concepts we have and seek a sleeker, cleaner, more organized relationship with God. Because you see, His truths are not going anywhere! The love, grace, mercy, and indisputable word of God will never change. But our level of faith… our attitudes and study habits… our level of communication and connection with God… seems to fluctuate. We appear to change our relationship with God often - like we change our wardrobe!

Wouldn’t it feel good to “clean out the closet” once and for all… to get rid of the old, worn-out habits and ideas that stymie your faith and your walk with God? Wouldn’t it be great to have a “Spiritual closet” filled with the “timeless classics” of a solid relationship with Almighty God and His Holy Spirit? Set aside some time to search your heart… to talk to God about what needs to stay, what is missing… and what needs to go. Then give your heart the “Spiritual cleaning” of a lifetime. This time, vow to keep things in order. With God’s help, we can do this… and our Spiritual life will always be in style.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: